Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika Trench Map CD

Gardenerbill

The Salonika Campaign Soiciety's Trench Map CD details can be found here:

Trenchmapcd

It has a lot more than the trench maps, I would recommend it and if you join the society it's cheaper.

secs is a very friendly organisation and the cd's are excellent. And then the group visits with Alan Wakefield are the icing on the cake.  A really worthwhile organisation.

2 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

secs is a very friendly organisation and the cd's are excellent. And then the group visits with Alan Wakefield are the icing on the cake.  A really worthwhile organisation.

I posted this topic in response to a query about the Trench Map CD from Simon Fileding in the 'Cavdalar Training' topic because I thought it would be more visible.

Keith, would it be possible to have it pinned?

SCS should be grateful that Gardenerbill has posted the above link, as I could not find it directly on the SCS website. Given SCS has a product to sell which is a Research aid, it seems most peculiar that there is no direct link on the SCS website.

I did however,  find it indirectly by using the Search term DVD in the SCS website Search, but if you didn't know there was a DVD how would you know to Search for it?

In the description of the two disc  DVD set, disc 1 is stated to contain "Books (80 PDFs)". If you have this disc, Gardenerbill, (or others) briefly what does this  category contain?

In particular, I would be interested to know whether there are any issues of  The Mosquito or  The New Mosquito.  It's a pity this information is not provided by SCS in the webpage description.

Cheers 

Maureen

Hi from France. The Mosquito is not included but I believe plans are in hand for a second product with a full set of the magazine. Perhaps one of the SCS committee might be able to comment with more authority.

I'm not sure about pinning as it might set a precedent, but maybe we can get a direct item in the advertising section. One to discuss with other mods once I return.

Keith

6 hours ago, Maureene said:

In the description of the two disc  DVD set, disc 1 is stated to contain "Books (80 PDFs)". If you have this disc, Gardenerbill, (or others) briefly what does this  category contain?

Maureene,

I have the old version of the Trench map CD, as a member of the SCS I found out about the new one from the society magazine 'The New Mosquito', I too had to search on the site to find it. I have sent an email to Tim Mole asking how I go about acquiring the new CD, once I have a copy I can post some details here.

The DVD is mentioned on the web site under "News" - from when the latest version was launched.  See:  http://salonikacampaignsociety.org.uk/scs-news/new-map-dvd/#more-806

I'll "have a word" with the website editor to see if this can be made more obvious.  I also hope to report back with info re the availability of back copies of "The Mosquito".

Keith (the other one ...).

Thanks all for your comments.

13 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

asking how I go about acquiring the new CD, once I have a copy I can post some details here.

Thanks Gardenerbill

12 hours ago, Gully Ravine said:

The DVD is mentioned on the web site under "News"

If I click on the website category News, the DVD link doesn't display for me. However, I am not a member, perhaps it is different for members?

Cheers

Maureen

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 19:34, Lanayca said:

Glad to have found the link here. Application form completed and waiting for the post.

Hi Lanayca

Application received, processed and a copy of the recent New Mosquito journal is in the post to you ... many thanks for joining us (SCS).

Regards

Keith

http://salonikacampaignsociety.org.uk/join-us/membership/ if anyone else would like to join.  (Apologies for the opportunism!).

• 2 weeks later...

My copy of the new SCS Trench map DVD arrived this week. I have had a quick look and there is a wealth of new material here, it will take some time to go though it all. Hopefully I can post a review here soon.

Just to advise that I will shortly be looking after Trench Map DVD sales on behalf of the Salonika Campaign Society.  I am taking this on from Tim Mole who has done a fabulous job for the Society in assembling this latest collection.  The handover is in progress, but if anyone needs any information about the DVDs - content, prices etc, happy to help.  I have also requested that the existence of this valuable resource be better publicised on the SCS web site.

Keith

Further to the previous comments re The Mosquito and The New Mosquito (past & present ‘Society’ journals), we had a positive discussion at our SCS committee meeting last week regarding these and how we might make them available to members of the society.

I have ‘volunteered’ to look into this to see what can be achieved – and how.  Hopefully this will, in due course, include an index to The New Mosquitos.

With a combined total of 200 editions to think about, this will no doubt take some time!

More as and when and via the SCS web site.

Keith

IWM catalogue details of The Mosquito Index

The New Mosquito: An archived webpage shows the contents of some Journals to Issue 32, September 2015, and a second archived page shows the contents of earlier issues to Issue 15. Contents Issue 35, April 2017.

Copied from the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Salonica and the Balkans (First World War)

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Salonica_and_the_Balkans_(First_World_War)

Cheers

Maureen

I htink much of the scanning has been done, but further work is still to come, and the SCS depends on a very small number of volunteers. I'm sure that this won't be forgotten.

Keith