Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victor Richardson

Michelle Young

• Admin

In memory of Victor Richardson, wounded and blinded at Arras, 9th April 1917. Died of wounds 9th June 1917. Buried at Hove 

IMG_1093.JPG

Not forgotten. Do you know where he was when he was wounded Michelle? I am thinking of a trip to Arras and it's always good to think of men like Victor.

Pete.

593afe5f79f0c_CornflowerSmall.JPG.80bb47e1c257e0c60ea9d1d2527bc71e.JPG

Hi

Noticing on the headstone pic it says attached 9th KRRC, and their war diary notes at St Fuscien?

(Ancestry HERE)

Haven't found 4 Royal Sussex yet

regards

Jon

• Admin

Pete,

As far as I know, attacking the Harp near Tilloy les Mofflaines. 

Michelle 

Thanks Michelle, the Harp will be on my list as I've read a lot about it and I'd like to see the junction of the old front line and the Hindenburg line defences.

Pete

Edited by Fattyowls

Visited the Victor Richardson's grave on Friday 9th June 2017 with Mandy Hall, along with a Great War historian from Hove, and a representative from the Vera Brittain Facebook Group. Always very moved to think of how much Victor sacrificed , losing his sight, his mind, then finally his life after wounds incurred at Arras.Certainly remembered with honour. 

• 1 year later...

Will be visiting Victor Richardson's grave on Sunday 9th June 2019 to place some flowers there. Trying to get there for 11 am when Hove Old Cemetery opens. Any pals would be welcome . Can change time to a little  later, but aim to get to the Chattri Memorial service at Patcham that afternoon. 

• 3 weeks later...

Visited Victor Richardson' s grave today to lay some flowers and to pay my respects to mark his death 102 years ago today

Also pulled some weeds that had been growing there out at the root. 

Just need to mention, seems that there has been a 'tidy up'. Memorial crosses, and a message from some relatives that was left there, wrapped in transparent plastic has gone. 

A laminated poem by Vera is still there..I will throw away flowers that are clearly rotting away, but nothing else that has been left at Victor's grave. 

• 11 months later...

Will be visiting Victor Richardson's grave  at Hove Old Cemetery on Tuesday 9th June  to place some flowers to commemorate the 103rd anniversary of his death. The Council website suggests that the cemetery will be open and I will check this coming week. If anyone else intends going, feel free to message me . Could  see if possible to meet but keep to social distancing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Visited Hove Old Cemetery today, placed some flowers on Victor Richardson's grave. Remembering him with honour . 

• 11 months later...

Remembering Victor Richardson today, Lost his sight after being wounded at the Battle of Arras 9th April 1917, later his mind, and died in hospital in Chelsea on 9th June 1917. Honouring the sacrifice that he made.. 

UPDATE Just come back from Hove Old Cemetery; visited Victor Richardson's grave and laid some flowers there. 

Edited by MichaelBully