Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain A Hollywood Armagh SS Madam Brook

ARMAGH

Armagh Guardian 16 Aug 1918

Captain Arthur Hollywood of Fathom Co Armagh Master of the SS Madam Brook of London was according to information received in Newry was washed overboard while coming from France and drowned.

Did he drown or was it a misprint by the newspaper?

Can any one help ?

Many thanks

Joe

Um - what would it be a misprint for, if he was washed overboard? I wouldn't be at all surprised if he drowned.

I have found a medal card for what may be him here - downloadable for £3.50 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8031781

sJ

Not the answer to the specific question but some information of possible interest.

Probate 1918 - HOLLYWOOD Arthur of Field House, Bank Road, Dawley, Shropshire, master mariner, died 5 August 1918 at sea. Administration Shrewsbury 2 November to Agnes Hollywood widow.

Edit to add: From the 1881 census - He was born about 1876 (aged 4 in the census) in Newry, son of Patrick Hollywood, a ship's master, and Mary Ann Hollywood, both also born Newry.

Edited by HarryBrook

Thanks Sea Jane & Harry Brook,. I found no CWGC details and have already seen misprints on deaths in local newspapers during the Great War, if  Captain Arthur Hollywood of Fathom Co Armagh Master of the SS Madam Brook of London did drown should there not be a CWGC notice?

That looks like his probate/will  the dates and details  look correct.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong (and I may well be), but I believe for commemoration by C.W.G.C. a member of the Merchant Marine had to die as a result of enemy action.

No mention of his drowning was washed over-board coming from France and drowned. 

in  Royal Naval / Merchant ships  Monday, 5 August 1918

SS Madam Brook of London any one know which type of ship? Cargo or Fishing ship? 

Madame Brooke (note spelling) was a 622 grt cargo steamer built in 1914 by J. Fullerton & Co., Paisley as Broadgreen for the West Lancashire SS. Co., Ltd. (A. Rowland & Co.), Liverpool. In 1917, Thomas E. Brooke of T. G. Beatley & Son became the managing partner; the vessel was renamed to Madame Brooke in 1918. Though Brooke lived in London, Madame Brooke remained registered in Liverpool.

As per post above yours :) I think we must have been typing simultaneously.

Thanks SeaJane & Michael Lowrey.

I  will include him in my List of Co Armagh personal  who died during WW1 on active service.

• 1 year later...

This is the first that I heard of Captain Arthur Hollywood of Fathom Co Armagh but I can attest that the several Hollywood families lived in Fathom and many were sailors and merchant mariners. 

The Madame Brooke was on Belgian Government service from Feb 1918 to Feb 1919, so perhaps that is why the poor captain is not listed by the CWGC?

Mike