Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private E G Stephens RAMC

sputnik

Trying to discover more about George's WW1.  His marriage entry in 1918 in the parish register of Langho describes him as soldier RAMC 19th Co. and his residence at the time was Kinmel Park near Rhyl which I believe was a military hospital. George enlisted in the Royal Sussex Regiment his number being 454 and at some stage transferred to the RAMC number 142378. I believe he may have been wounded and sent home possibly to a Lancashire hospital where he was to meet his future wife. She was living in Whalley so I had wondered if Queen Marys in Whalley was likely.

Can anyone help to fill in the gaps please?

Edited by sputnik

16 minutes ago, sputnik said:

Trying to discover more about George's WW1.  His marriage entry in 1918 in the parish register of Langho describes him as soldier RAMC 19th Co. and his residence at the time was Kinmel Park near Rhyl which I believe was a military hospital. George enlisted in the Royal Sussex Regiment his number being 454 and at some stage transferred to the RAMC number 142378. I believe he may have been wounded and sent home possibly to a Lancashire hospital where he was to meet his future wife. She was living in Whalley so I had wondered if Queen Marys in Whalley was likely.

Can anyone help to fill in the gaps please?

What was the maiden name of his wife ?

Craig

Emery George Stephens has some service records available on FMP (indexed under the 142378 number), so presumably available on Ancestry also.

Steve

I've discovered lots more about George's war from the recommended service record but it's opened a whole new set of questions. After 16 months in the trenches during which time he was wounded and returned to duty several times George was returned to England having been diagnosed with Neurasthemia.

He was admitted to the London General Hospital at Denmark Hill and was discharged after 3 months. He was then transferred to the RAMC remaining in England for the remainder of the war. Is there any way to find out more about either his convalescence or his subsequent service in the RAMC. The only facts I have from this time is his residence at Kinmel Park at the time of his marriage in October 1918 and his RAMC company the 19th. I understand this has connections to Whalley Lancashire which was where his future wife was living at this time.

Any pointers are really welcome. Thanks.