The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental nicknames

DrB

The old one of course - RAMC - "Rob All My Comrades"

Cheers

Edward

RAMC Backwards, Cant Manage A Rifle, Run Away Matrons Coming, Linseed Lancers

The 6th Infantry Division of the AEF were called the "Sight Seein' Sixth" because they only saw a little over a month of action before the war ended.

The Queen's Royal Regiment and the East Surrey Regiment each referred to each other as "The Other Surrey Regiment."

9th East Surreys were "The Gallants."

1/1 Hertfordshire Regt - known as The Herts Guards because they were part of 6 Guards Brigade in 2 Division in 1914-15

East Yorkshire Regiment - THE SNAPPERS (a pre war nickname)

For still going through the motions of firing their muskets when out of ammunition.

10th Bn - THE COMMERCIALS

11th Bn - THE TRADESMEN

12th Bn - THE SPORTSMEN

13th Bn - T'OTHERS

And predictably I object to DROPSHORTS....... I much prefer Long range snipers...!

Great post.

• 3 weeks later...
OK...good so far....what about "The Poncers" for the Royal Canadian Regiment? Will Bird makes reference to that one when he wrote "Ghosts Have Warm Hands." Any Canuks want to comment on that one?

From WWII, I can add "The Eddies" for the Royal Edmonton Regt and "The Hasty P's" for the Hastings and Prince Edward Island Regt. Also, the Canadian Governor Generals Horse Guard, initials G.G.H.G. which the other Canadian wags said stood for "Gods Gift to Hungry Girls" or "Good God, How Gorgeous."

DrB

:P

Also in Will Bird's book, Ghosts Have Warm Hands, The Royal Canadian Regiment is referred to as The Shino Boys for their general nit-pickyness; boots and brass shined to the max, every hair in place way of going. This holds true today, (I know many modern 'Royals,') and their motto, other than Pro Patria is "Never Pass a Fault," presumably without fixing it. Further, instead of having a Charlie company in the RCR they call it Charles Company. Could be considered 'Poncy' by some!

Royal Canadian Regiment - The Shino Boys, The Royals

Winnipeg Rifles - The Little Black Devils

The 10th Battalion - The Fighting 10th (Kitchener's Wood)

Bonfire

Hi All,

Bedfordshire Regiment known usually as "the Peacemakers" as they managed to avoid just about all the noteworthy military confrontations in the 19th century. I think their first battle, as one might know a battle, was Paardeburg in 1900.

Their first modern battle honour was, I believe, Relief of Chitral. They were in Canada in 1866 during the Fenian Raids, but no British regiments received battle honours for that.