Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental nicknames

DrB

I have been teased with regimental nick-names for some time now while reading about the Great War. I would appreciate the Pals helping me in gathering some nick-names for the regiments from the both the U.K. and the Commonwealth.

Would appreciate only those names used in WWI and not the old stuff that is found in every book about the British army. (i.e. the Tangier Horse) The nicknames can include the PBI, the gunners, the cavalry and other arms and services.

Thanks in advance.

DrB

;)

Newfoundlanders were - according to accounts widely published - known as the 'F..king Five Bobbers' by others in the 29th Division due to their higher rate of pay.

Des

"Fen Tigers" The Cambridgeshire Regiment,after the Legendary Mythical Cat that roamed the Fens A Beast not to be trifled with.

Men of the 6th{S} Battalion the Northamptonshire Regiment were affectionately known as "The Skinheads" after a bout of Particularly Close Cropped Hairdressing{No doubt to assist in the De~Lousing Programme}Decades before it became associated with Doc Martens,Ska Music & Braces

The "Lillywhites" (quite a common nickname for several regiments) and the "Triple X's" both for the East Lancs - though historically should only be for the 1st Bn. (several others also)

Dave.

The Lincolns have been known as the Poachers. I cannot determine it being contemporary with WW1. The issue was confused in 1964 when the 2nd Battalion East Anglians were officially named the Poachers.

Roop

The Northamptonshires were the 'Steelbacks', which I believe was something to do with their stoicism under the lash in the days of flogging.

OK...good so far....what about "The Poncers" for the Royal Canadian Regiment? Will Bird makes reference to that one when he wrote "Ghosts Have Warm Hands." Any Canuks want to comment on that one?

From WWII, I can add "The Eddies" for the Royal Edmonton Regt and "The Hasty P's" for the Hastings and Prince Edward Island Regt. Also, the Canadian Governor Generals Horse Guard, initials G.G.H.G. which the other Canadian wags said stood for "Gods Gift to Hungry Girls" or "Good God, How Gorgeous."

DrB

:P

“Hurcombe’s Hungry Half Hundred” - 50 Bn AIF - named after their first CO Lieutenant Colonel Frederick Hurcombe (raised from a cadre from 10 Bn AIF in Egypt in 1916).

"The Fighting Tenth" - 10 Bn AIF - Lance Corporal Philip Robin and Private Arthur Blackburn are believed to have penetrated further inland than any other Australians at ANZAC.

“Joan of Arc” (the Maid of Orleans) battalion - 48 Bn AIF - it was “made of all Leanes” – it was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Ray Leane, his brother was the adjutant, and several other relatives were scattered throughout the battalion.

Cheers

Edward

Newfoundlanders were - according to accounts widely published - known as the 'F..king Five Bobbers' by others in the 29th Division due to their higher rate of pay.

Des

aka "The Blue Puttees".

The 4th Royal Sussex - "The Fine Fourths".

I don't know how widely this name was used, but I have seen it in a newspaper article in a local paper - 'Horsham Gazette' iirc.

Because of the agricultural background of a number of their ranks the Hampshires were referred to as "The Swedebashers".

1st Hampshires - "The Stone Wallers" for Pacaut Wood.

2nd Hampshires - "The Incomparables"

Marc

At least one Canadian regiment also wore blue puttees in WW1.

The 48th Highlanders of Canada were known as "The Glamour Boys" during WW2

http://www.48highlanders.com/

Someone has mentioned the WW2 nickname for the Hastings and Prince Edward Island Regt. A British veteran told me that, because of their nickname, they were known as "The Quick Slash" by English troops.

7th Bn,The Northamptonshire Regt,[Peterborough Contingent]was Known as "Whitsed's Own" & "Whitsed's Light Infantry" after the City's Mayor who headed the recruitment Drive

Roop

The Lincolns have been known as the Poachers. I cannot determine it being contemporary with WW1. The issue was confused in 1964 when the 2nd Battalion East Anglians were officially named the Poachers.

The Lincolns get the nickname the Poachers from the old Folksong 'The Lincolnshire Poacher' the 2nd Royal Anglians were the Lincolns before the formation of the Anglian Large Regiment

Hi

The Canadian Regiment The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, have both an intresting nickname and motto. Their nickname is the Black Devils ( The Regimental badge shows a running black Devil)

The motto is 'Hostie acie nominati' - 'Named by the enemy'

It was at Fish Creek where the regiment received its baptism by fire. The regiment fought that day without food or drink and battled a prairie fire set by the Metis leader Dumont. To them went the brunt of the fighting during the advance on the Metis trenches. It was here that captured prisoners, awed by the cool, steady advance of the sharp shooting Rifles said afterwards, "The red coats we know, but who are those little black devils? "

post-2-1103476979.gif

I believe a battalion of the Leinsters were known as the 'Forty Tens'

Allegedly, they were lined up and asked to 'number off' on one occasion.

Everything goes OK until they get to 'Forty-Nine!'

Next guy is 'tired and emotional' (according to military legend) and shouts out : "Forty Ten"

Apparently the sign 40/10 was painted on at least one troopship by Leinsters who happily adopted the nick-name.

Read this somewhere .. forget where!!?

Des

I don't know how far back the name goes, but on several occassions I have heard the Durham Light Infantry being called the 'Dirty Little Infants'.

I believe that their 9th battalion were called the 'Gateshead Gurkhas' during the Great War.

Incidentially if you call a soldier of the KOSB a 'Cosby', you had better duck - they find 'Cosby' insulting.

SEAN

13th australian light horse nicknamed "the devils own" unofficial hat and collarbadges a dancing devil.

coo-ee

patrick

Great post Drb.

Wish I had the knowledge to add!!!!

A lot of fun to read.