Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A/SGT Albert Taylor, #10224, 2/Seaforth, MM

bif

Will some compassionate PAL please educate me in what I need to do to find A/Sgt Taylor's citation & or Gazette listing ?  I have found his MIC and Medal rolls on Ancestry.  However when you search for the MM "card" it says no image.  Somewhere amongst the carnage that passes for my research I have the Gazette date as 18 July 1917.  When I go to the Gazette and search , "Taylor, Albert, 18 July 1917" i get over 1,500 possibles.  What am I not doing right ?  

Exasperated and confounded once again,   bif

Edited by bif

Bif

What you're doing wrong is putting too much information into the search ?.

For a Military Medal listing in the London Gazette, using the gazette's search engine, you need to know how the MM listings are arranged for the search to return sensible 'hits'.  Each MM listing entry follows the basic rule of service number, rank, initial, surname and regiment (usually abbreviated).

In this instance I'd either search on the service number (10224) or his initial and surname ("A. Taylor").  Both instances produce a number of 'hits', including the required one, but the service number produces less though, so I'd search through those to find the one wanted.

Just in case you don't want to bother with the search you can follow the link below which will hopefully take you to the right entry ?

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30188/supplement/7285/data.htm

Regards

Steve

Edited by SteveE

Steve,   Thank you for taking pity on a confused "newbie".  I often think the folks who designed the search engine for the LG are first cousins to the group who wrote our tax code? Seems that like Achems Razor, simplest is best.  Will try the two methods you suggest before the link.  It's good for the soul.

Appreciatively in awe of your expertise,   bif

Edited by bif