Jump to content
Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

In from the Cold


robins2

Recommended Posts

Human remains found in France nearly a year ago have been identified as those of a First World War soldier from St. Stephen, N.B., the Department of National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces announced on Friday.

Sgt. Harold Wilfred Shaughnessy of St. Stephen, N.B.

Sgt. Harold Wilfred Shaughnessy was born in St. Stephen, N.B., on Nov. 3, 1884. He enlisted in 1915 and was killed on Aug. 15, 1917, in the Battle of Hill 70. (Department of National Defence)

Sgt. Harold Wilfred Shaughnessy, was a stenographer before enlisting in Montreal on Aug. 4, 1915, as a member of the 13th Canadian Infantry Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. The battalion was formed by the Montreal-based Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada.

Shaughnessy was killed two years later, on Aug. 15, 1917, in the Battle of Hill 70 — the first major action fought by the Canadian Corps under a Canadian commander in the First World War. He was 33.

His remains and First World War artifacts were discovered near the village of Vendin-le-Vieil during munitions-clearing work in advance of a construction project on June 6, 2016, according to a joint news release

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very interesting story thank you for posting.

 

Sgt. Shaughnessy's service file is not yet digitized; only his attestation papers are online.  The approving officer for his enlistment was the OC of the 73rd Battalion suggesting that he initially served with the 73rd.  Indeed, the collar badge in the grainy photo is more likely to be a Maple leaf rather than a C over 13.  Possibly he was originally in the 73rd then, when the 73rd was disbanded after Vimy in April 1917, he became part of a draft to the 13th.  All of this is a surmise, of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gordon92 said:

Very interesting story thank you for posting.

 

Sgt. Shaughnessy's service file is not yet digitized; only his attestation papers are online.  The approving officer for his enlistment was the OC of the 73rd Battalion suggesting that he initially served with the 73rd.  Indeed, the collar badge in the grainy photo is more likely to be a Maple leaf rather than a C over 13.  Possibly he was originally in the 73rd then, when the 73rd was disbanded after Vimy in April 1917, he became part of a draft to the 13th.  All of this is a surmise, of course.

Hi Gordon92,

 

You are correct he was with the CEF 73rd Canadian Inf Btn when they set sail in 1916.

 

Regards

 

Andy

Screenshot_20170602-232802.jpg

Screenshot_20170602-232839.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Hi Gordon92,

 

You are correct he was with the CEF 73rd Canadian Inf Btn when they set sail in 1916.

 

Regards

 

Andy

 

Thanks for this confirmation, Andy.  Is the Nominal Roll for the 73rd online somewhere?

 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gordon92 said:

 

Thanks for this confirmation, Andy.  Is the Nominal Roll for the 73rd online somewhere?

 

Mike

Yes indeed Mike all the Orginal CEF Nominal Rolls are here, it's quite a handy resource to confim original units until the CEF personnel files have all been upload by the BAC project.

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/militaryandfamilyhistory.blog/2016/04/18/nominal-rolls-of-the-canadian-expeditionary-force/amp/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Yes indeed Mike all the Orginal CEF Nominal Rolls are here, it's quite a handy resource to confim original units until the CEF personnel files have all been upload by the BAC project.

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/militaryandfamilyhistory.blog/2016/04/18/nominal-rolls-of-the-canadian-expeditionary-force/amp/

Many thanks for this, Andy.  What a tremendous resource!

 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

I have been trying for 2 days now  to log onto the Canadian archives CEF website,both by Holeymoley's link and directly onto their website but it keeps timing out.I have searched to see if there is a notice that the site is currently down but found nothing.Can someone kindly try to access the website and let me know. My grandfather came to England with the CEF in 1917 and I am keen to see if I can find his name on the Nominal Roll for the 240th Battalion.

Thanks.

Paul.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, pgis said:

Hi,

I have been trying for 2 days now  to log onto the Canadian archives CEF website,both by Holeymoley's link and directly onto their website but it keeps timing out.I have searched to see if there is a notice that the site is currently down but found nothing.Can someone kindly try to access the website and let me know. My grandfather came to England with the CEF in 1917 and I am keen to see if I can find his name on the Nominal Roll for the 240th Battalion.

Thanks.

Paul.

I can open the link on post #5 ok but the link to open the nominal roll isn't working.

 

Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Craig. I should have explained better that it was the link to the nominal rolls  I was having trouble with.At least I now know it's not something I am doing wrong.Thanks for replying so quickly.

Regards.

Paul.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pgis said:

Hi,

I have been trying for 2 days now  to log onto the Canadian archives CEF website,both by Holeymoley's link and directly onto their website but it keeps timing out.I have searched to see if there is a notice that the site is currently down but found nothing.Can someone kindly try to access the website and let me know. My grandfather came to England with the CEF in 1917 and I am keen to see if I can find his name on the Nominal Roll for the 240th Battalion.

Thanks.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

 

The nominal rolls are hosted on what appears to be a private page amd linked to the BAC project that host the CEF personnel files.

 

For the nominal roll I seached CEF nominal rolls google (other search engines are available......) and it was one of the top pages.

 

If you do get to the page sometimes the links to the rolls don't work though.

 

Regards

 

Andy

 

Cheers Andy

The 240th opens on my phone in pdf.

 

Andy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎03 at 13:38, HolymoleyRE said:

Yes indeed Mike all the Orginal CEF Nominal Rolls are here, it's quite a handy resource to confim original units until the CEF personnel files have all been upload by the BAC project.

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/militaryandfamilyhistory.blog/2016/04/18/nominal-rolls-of-the-canadian-expeditionary-force/amp/

Great resource, thanks for posting

 

Regards

 

Bob R.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...