Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Glass Stereo photos

morrisc8

Seems like you're getting quite a few LSU slides in of late!

This guide: http://www.greatwarin3d.org/lists/GWin3D LSU-SDV Glass List.xlsx

Might help in ordering your collection, and you can use it as a checklist as well so you don't have to spend time checking to make sure you don't already have adequate copies of any slides in question.

We do, of course, ask that if you come by something not on the list (or significantly different - alternate captions, etc) - just drop us a line about it. :)

OK, this is weird - something in the forum code is stopping the link from working. It looks like you just have to copy it, paste it in a new browser tab, and it'll provide the Excel spreadsheet with the checklist, captions, etc...

I'm not sure if there is a workaround to make a clickable link? Could someone with a little more experience on the forum weigh in?

Edited by Ian Ference

On 18/09/2021 at 19:44, Ian Ference said:

OK, this is weird - something in the forum code is stopping the link from working.

That's right. No files that could contain macros get through the filter, so only spreadsheet allowed is .csv

Allowed filetypes are shown under the reply box once you start typing.

2 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

That's right. No files that could contain macros get through the filter, so only spreadsheet allowed is .csv

Allowed filetypes are shown under the reply box once you start typing.

Huh - I understand about half of that ("Macros"?) but I understand, it is likely to stop spyware or ransomware, etc?

Let me see if there is a way to turn my spreadsheet into the allowed format for those who are interested in collecting LSU stereoviews...

EDIT: Ok, here's a rather chopped-down version sorted on LSU (rather than SDV), without the color codes (which are meaningless without the key which is in another tab which .csv wouldn't allow me to export). It should still be sufficient to serve as a "trainspotter's checklist", though a good deal of information is missing. Primary attribution is to Doug Jordan (1961-2020), with 2018-present additions by myself.

Inventory - LSU-SDV.csv

Edited by Ian Ference

The .csv spreadsheet looks good Ian, 1500 odd rows, up to Column 'L'.

Seems as though it will be useful to others.

Here's how W.Pedia explains it:

"A macro is a series of commands and actions that helps automating some tasks - usually a quite short and simple program. However they are created, they need to be executed by some system which interprets the stored commands. Some macro systems are self-contained programs, but others are built into complex applications (for example word processors) to allow users to repeat sequences of commands easily."

"A macro virus is a virus that is written in a macro language: a programming language which is embedded inside a software application (e.g., word processors and spreadsheet applications). Some applications, such as Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint allow macro programs to be embedded in documents such that the macros are run automatically when the document is opened, and this provides a distinct mechanism by which malicious computer instructions can spread. This is one reason it can be dangerous to open unexpected attachments in e-mails. Many antivirus programs can detect macro viruses; however, the macro virus' behavior can still be difficult to detect."

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just bought a few transport ones. French testing Vehicles. Photos from the seller until they arrive in the post to me.

info in French.  I don`t know who the maker is or they could be privately taken.

ww1 transport 4 tr kb.jpg

ww1 transport 2 kb.jpg

ww1 transport 5 1916.kb.jpg

I did think Holt tractor but there is no front wheel on the one in the French photos and looks smaller, but i think you are correct as it could be a Holt Model 45 . Below RGA Holt tractor. I have just found info on the Holt model 45, never seen one before. Thank you Squirrel.  Photo from my collection 1239752288_ww1RGAphotoholttractor.jpg.e4a0ebfdff726a9e7095800418f0810f.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

You are welsome and thanks for the photograph - I am guessing that the front wheel was added to stop the vehicle nose diving over irregular/rough ground/trenches.

Edited by squirrel

I think the crawler is American - I have a similar view titled 'Trials of the American caterpillar-tractor intended to draw heavy artillery at Vincennes during World War I.'

The big tractors are in that monster thread about vehicles '-WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cardsbut at over 100 pages long I didn't manage to find it!

Ok, I  think the tractor is also American it is possibly a 'Big 4' big-4.jpg.641de7d4a1a8017a4ad97071f66f0a18.jpg

Hi Paul, That`s the one, i found that last night but you beet me to it. Thanks for the ID.

The other tractor could be this one Holt 45.

Just thought you might like to see this as well. The Holt-120 and Holt-75 artillery tractors from the U.S. Coast Artillery at St. Jacques, France are pulling the guns during WW1 Battle of Saint-Mihiel.

Edited by morrisc8