Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Glass Stereo photos

morrisc8

Hi Ian,

it is from the army doctor and is in English. [ My cabin SS Mohon? 26-12-1910 ]  [ xxxxxxxxx  arrived  land would? xxx Passed by port xxxx 25 10 1910 ] he was passing Egypt.

He took a few photos pre war from India on a trip to England.

2 hours ago, morrisc8 said:

it is from the army doctor and is in English.

Do you have a name - if he is travelling on a commercial liner rather than a Government Transport he may turn up on the outward passenger lists if he sailed from the UK, or on the arrivals lists published in The Times of India. That in turn should give you a ships name. The outward bound passenger lists are a staple of genealogy sites, while a name search of The Times of India can be done on the Fibis site https://www.fibis.org/

Cheers,
Peter

Thank you Peter, i do not have his name but he was a doctor in India and this might be a photo of him taking a photo. He was still in France in jan 1919 as i have a date on one of his glass stereo photos. Would he have used doctor so and so before his name on the ships list in 1910?.  

Two more stereo photos he took on the ship.  1. Port Said coaling 27-12-1910. 2. Boarding Port Said 27-12-1910

Here is a link to his to his ww1 stereo Photos. 

1275847689_doc1910portEgypt(2019_11_1415_59_53UTC).JPG.8d653328bb93996beafdd46db0f461ac.JPG

doc ww1 1918 photo (2021_02_08 15_29_23 UTC).jpg

doc ww1 1918 (2021_02_08 15_29_23 UTC).jpg

doc 1910 port  Egypt ship.JPG

doc 1910 port  Egypt .21 11 1910 Bording Port S.JPG

doc 1910 port  Egypt .21 11 1910 JPG (2019_11_14 15_59_53 UTC).JPG

Made this out a bit more. Osiris arrived Monday/Sunday? [ The 25th Dec 1910 was a Sunday ] to land xxxx [ could be a name ] not yet passed by port doctor

doc port ship.JPG

Osiris arrived Monday/Sunday? [ The 25th Dec 1910 was a Sunday ] to land xxxx 

P&O passenger mail service steamer OSIRIS . Egypt. Port Said.  Not the ship the doc was on but a friend of his.

image.png.46391c497924f66d92bf86bdd3e03682.png

1 hour ago, morrisc8 said:

Would he have used doctor so and so before his name on the ships list in 1910?. 

He would most likely have been recorded with his rank, and the entry in the Times of India would also be likely to show his unit. And if he was outward bound to India in December 1910 he most likely turns up on the 1911 Census of England & Wales - it's scope included the overseas garrisons. It was taken on the 2nd April 1911.

Presumably if he was taking pictures of the ASC workshops in Rouen he was probably stationed in the city. But as it was part of the British Base area there were a number of medical facilities there, so probably hundreds of doctors in the area at any one time.

Just in case he was travelling on a P&O ship I checked out their ship names - https://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/pando.shtml

But no likely candidate - there doesn't seem enough letters for Mooltan, even allowing for Doctors handwriting :)

Unfortunately it was not uncommon,for those looking to avoid the Bay of Biscay part of the journey, for individuals to train down to Marseilles or even Brindisi and embark there for the journey through the Suez Canal. At that point they could be sailing on ships registered in France or Italy.

Sorry I can't be more helpful,
Peter

Thanks for sharing your images @morrisc8. I showed this thread to my 9-year-old and he loves it. Always wants me to check back for more pics! ;-)

In case you didn't already know...the 7th picture (below the cathedral) of your post from 26 July has this caption:

Guerre. Boulogne. La maison où Papa fut blessé en Mars 1918.

War. Boulogne. The house where Dad was wounded in March 1918.

9 hours ago, morrisc8 said:

Made this out a bit more. Osiris arrived Monday/Sunday? [ The 25th Dec 1910 was a Sunday ] to land xxxx [ could be a name ] not yet passed by port doctor

doc port ship.JPG

"Ready to land mails"?

These are a bit lager than the 45x107.  Tunnel [ 1918 ] and troop transport with field cooker in the back of one, the Somme 1918

Glass Stereo photos from my collection.

ww1 tunnel.jpg

ww1 trucks.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

Here is a link for 3D glasses , so you can see the stereo photos in 3D. [ i do not work for them ]. Thanks to Ian and he has a great website with the WFA.

https://www.berezin.com/3d/pocket_3dvu.htm

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/latest-news/august-2021/200-brentano-s-launch-on-stereoscope-a-call-to-action/

Edited by morrisc8

On 20/08/2021 at 13:04, morrisc8 said:

Here is a link for 3D glasses , so you can see the stereo photos in 3D. [ i do not work for them ]. Thanks to Ian and he has a great website with the WFA.

https://www.berezin.com/3d/pocket_3dvu.htm

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/latest-news/august-2021/200-brentano-s-launch-on-stereoscope-a-call-to-action/

Thanks for the shout-out; anybody interested in these stereoscopic images who is a WFA member should check out that second link and see if you have any comments about anything there. Non WFA members can see the same images (without the searchable gallery; that's coming soon) at https://greatwarin3d.org

As for the viewer - I agree with Morris, the Berezin Pocket 3Dvu is the best inexpensive viewer on the market. It allows viewing of digital and physical (paper card) stereoviews from small format all the way up to presentations on a 4K 65" TV.

Is that a drum (for music) in the second photo with the German dead?

13 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

Is that a drum (for music) in the second photo with the German dead?

The use of drums in the military is to synchronise soldiers’ marching.  In the trenches, drummers were active as runners, orderlies or stretcher-bearers.

ww1 1914 kia durm.jpg

23 hours ago, morrisc8 said:

In the trenches, drummers were active as runners, orderlies or stretcher-bearers.

Thanks for the explanation, I always wondered what musicians/drummers did at the front besides play music.

Love the church interior of the latest set you posted.

ww1 French trench with German trench 30m away. From my collection.

Well that`s it for now, until i find some more to buy from France at the right price.

Keith

ww1 French trench with German trench 30m away.jpg