Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Glass Stereo photos

morrisc8

Hi Dennis, the only viewer i have are the ones in the photos but google stereo viewer and see what comes up. I think they made a viewer to show them to the public.

Keith

ww1 v glass.jpg

On 24/09/2019 at 23:33, aaxmo said:

what is the 3D viewer called and did they make one for public shows like the “Magic Lantern “?

3D viewing is a solo activity, only one at a time, It isn't possible to project a 3D image.

Whether anybody has invented some sort of scanner that can output via a 3D TV, I don't know, but doubt very much, seeing that broadcasters gave up on 3DTV a few years back, maybe after the 2010 World Cup.

2 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

3D viewing is a solo activity, only one at a time, It isn't possible to project a 3D image.

Whether anybody has invented some sort of scanner that can output via a 3D TV, I don't know, but doubt very much, seeing that broadcasters gave up on 3DTV a few years back, maybe after the 2010 World Cup.

Hi

For projecting 3D other technology was used, Lord Brabazon in 'The Brabazon Story' reference WW1 aerial photography (p.104) mentions:

"We took stereo pictures of trenches up to 12,000 feet and got superb relief by the enhanced base line.  These were shown to the Staff by the usual viewing apparatus, but we also projected them to show relief, on the well known principle of projecting  one photograph through red and the other through green and viewing them through red and green spectacles.  By this means the eye can see only the one picture it is meant to see, and so a stereoscopic effect is obtained.

Mike

11 minutes ago, MikeMeech said:

we also projected them to show relief, on the well known principle of projecting  one photograph through red and the other through green and viewing them through red and green spectacles.  By this means the eye can see only the one picture it is meant to see, and so a stereoscopic effect is obtained.

Ah yes, the old red and green glasses. I'd forgotten those.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

A few more. Taken by the RAMC doctor. 

On the 3rd photo ,The sign in the background says ` Gas Alert Zone East of this board respirators must be worn `

Keith

ww1 doc factory op post 2.JPG

ww1 doc road.JPG

ww1 doc gas alert zone.JPG

ww1 doc croisilles.JPG

993664414_ww1doccroisilles.JPG.d0684c1133550b37ed9b44ee1029310d.JPG

1955942187_ww1docgasalertzone.JPG.dabbd87ca31ae3950520d3c5cab74f6a.JPG

18999785_ww1docroad.JPG.9f166b944ad07e7864abffb753c64b37.JPG

1384280599_ww1docfactoryoppost2.JPG.33a3237bb380556d1bc0bbc52bbd70a7.JPG

Edited by morrisc8

• 1 year later...

I have a Camerascope viewer from the 1930's so I printed off some of your images - difficult to get the scale right as I  needed the two images to be closer together, but once I got it right they were very good 3-dimensional images.

The cinema now use polarised light and the audience wear darkened glasses, one eye is horizontal polarisation, the other vertical.  This works OK, we saw "Gravity" a few years ago.

A few of the from the RAMC Doctor that i have used AI software to colour them in. His Stereo 3D photos were negatives so i had to make them into positives. The last three are his original negatives.

ww1 doc tented camp colour.JPG

ww1 captured german dug out wine bottles on the right doc colour.jpg

ww1 doc german veh colour.JPG

ww1 doc German bunker sign colour.JPG

ww1 doc Albert colour.JPG

ww1 doc town hall water colour 1.JPG

ww1 doc ammo dump colour.JPG

ww1 doc road colour.JPG

doc with staff ww1 (2021_02_08 15_29_23 UTC).JPG

ww1 doc gas bunker (2019_11_14 15_59_53 UTC).JPG

Edited by morrisc8

29 minutes ago, GROBBY said:

rilliant collection thank you for sharing these

Yes, thank you.

Kath.

• 3 weeks later...

Came in the post today ,  view of german pows and holt tractor nearly the same as the other ones i put up. What is the Holt tractor towing ? Gun platform ?.

German photo i think is the right way round, they look good in 3D.

ww1 holt trator and horse.jpg

ww1 holt trator france.jpg

ww1 holt trator and horse close up.jpg

german pows ww1.jpg

german pows arras ww1.jpg

Yes I think it's a 9.2" howitzer plinth.

One gun required 3 trailers full of the gun parts.

Edit: No it isn't.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

The wheels on the 9.2" howitzer carriages were the old fashioned style cartwheel type, I don't know if they were made of wood, or of steel. The spokes would be round(ish) in section.

926525170_9inchHowitzer.jpg.e9a5fb26f88c15a3fc2f1186d7c7aa43.jpg

Courtesy IWM Q 3062

In addition, the  top of the carriage in the original image , just above the swivel point for the barrel, is flat. On the 9.2", it is curved.

The wheels on the carriage in question are the steel type with steel  tread bars and a double layer of flat steel bar spokes.

This is the type of wheel found on guns like the 8" Howitzer, but the carriage doesn't match.

8inch howitzer.jpg

Image courtesy of IWM Q 568

It must be from a big British artillery piece, but it doesn't match the 9.2" or the 8".

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

2 hours ago, tootrock said:

The German photo is reversed - look at the buttons on the tunics.

Martin

This is better.  Thanks for the help.

german pows arras ww1 glass..jpg

ww1 german pows 2.jpg

Yes.

I can't  see what else it could be.

I'll go with my original thought.

Marvellous images by the way, you've done a really good job in scanning all these negatives. The one with the German POWs is wonderful, men frozen in time. 

You can almost read the writing on the sign behind them.

Well done.