Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PRINCESS Mary christmas gift

BIFFO

Hello fellow collectors and enthusiasts! After reading this thread the paranoia is setting in about my own Princess Mary box, hahah. So, here goes nothing! What do you all think? Mine does not have a full stop after '1914' and it has a cluster of laurel leaves under the sword. :/  

Thanks for your help in advance! 

- Dave

a204fedb-bce5-4781-b97c-6d492a8d4898.png.e55e1501c098d9ee110628bba873f3a8.png

Hi Dave,

Not sure why you are getting paranoid - It's a genuine one.

Under the bayonet scabbard there are 8 "X" lattice intersections visible.

The central petal of the lower flower is uppermost.

18 pairs of leaves to right of bust.

4 1/2 waves under each Dreadnought.

No full stop after "1914" (as you pointed out)

Straight guards on the bayonet rather than "swept forward"

It looks like a match for my "Tin 2".

Regards,

Mike

20 minutes ago, Medaler said:

Hi Dave,

Not sure why you are getting paranoid - It's a genuine one.

Under the bayonet scabbard there are 8 "X" lattice intersections visible.

The central petal of the lower flower is uppermost.

18 pairs of leaves to right of bust.

4 1/2 waves under each Dreadnought.

No full stop after "1914" (as you pointed out)

Straight guards on the bayonet rather than "swept forward"

It looks like a match for my "Tin 2".

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike, 

This is great to know. I'm actually quite surprised that there are so many variations. But in retrospect I suppose that makes sense. I'll check out the one you posted, too. 

Thank you for your help! :D  

- Dave

• Admin

Here is mine, is it pukka?

Michelle

IMG_1252.JPG.34f3ce60f863642ae25d0fa916653b80.JPG

16 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Here is mine, is it pukka?

Michelle

IMG_1252.JPG

It looks just like mine. Really nice one you have :D 

- Dave

• Admin

Mines full of medals, no chocolate or smokes! 

26 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Mines full of medals, no chocolate or smokes! 

Yours does indeed look "pukka" - and Dave is right - It's just like his. He is right about something else too, it's a very nice clean looking example.

Full of medals? - I think that is vastly preferable to 100 year old chocolate, but there are those on here that might disagree!

I am liking this - the more tins we get pictures of, the better the "sample size" for trying to define them. Having "collected" my 3 purely by accident over the years, I may yet try to find myself examples of all the types we can identify. When I say "by accident", I bought the first one because it was cheap, and the other 2 came with medals from 2 different auctions.

Regards,

Mike

On 6/1/2017 at 05:33, BIFFO said:

How can you tell a genuine princess Mary tin/contents  from a modern reproduction ?

Biffo

pm - Copy.jpg

pm1 - Copy.jpg

pm2 - Copy.jpg

pm3 - Copy.jpg

Great photos! I'm on the lookout for an original pack of Princess Mary fund cigarettes. I'm torn because I work in public health but I REALLY want to take a drag off one :D 

On 9/20/2017 at 16:46, Medaler said:

Yours does indeed look "pukka" - and Dave is right - It's just like his. He is right about something else too, it's a very nice clean looking example.

Full of medals? - I think that is vastly preferable to 100 year old chocolate, but there are those on here that might disagree!

I am liking this - the more tins we get pictures of, the better the "sample size" for trying to define them. Having "collected" my 3 purely by accident over the years, I may yet try to find myself examples of all the types we can identify. When I say "by accident", I bought the first one because it was cheap, and the other 2 came with medals from 2 different auctions.

Regards,

Mike

This is a great thread. The hobby can go on forever. I find it a bit difficult to explain to others how maddening and specific collecting this stuff can be. 

8 hours ago, DapperDave said:

Great photos! I'm on the lookout for an original pack of Princess Mary fund cigarettes. I'm torn because I work in public health but I REALLY want to take a drag off one :D 

This is a great thread. The hobby can go on forever. I find it a bit difficult to explain to others how maddening and specific collecting this stuff can be. 

Dave,

I must admit, you are the first person I have ever come across who wants to collect items and then set them on fire. I would strongly suspect that the fags wouldn't taste anything like they did in 1914 - pretty much like the chocolate wouldn't either. Still, it's your wallet and your lungs.

I frequently worry about my collector gene. You can actually learn about all this stuff in books without every buying anything other than a library ticket. The undefinable warm glow that you get from holding something that they held is however such a mysterious and powerful force. In an odd way, it makes it feel like you are almost shaking their hands. On the other side of that coin is the fact that owning an object can spur on your learning. It frequently works that way for me. I will buy something, and then learn about it in order to better understand it. Visiting a museum is somehow not enough - I need to own one!

Regards,

Mike

13 minutes ago, Medaler said:

I frequently worry about my collector gene. You can actually learn about all this stuff In books - I will buy something, and then learn about it in order to better understand it. Visiting a museum is somehow not enough - I need to own one!

With you all the way Mike.

Getting hands on is totally different to seeing something in a book or glass case.  But once you start....!

1 hour ago, Medaler said:

Dave,

I must admit, you are the first person I have ever come across who wants to collect items and then set them on fire. I would strongly suspect that the fags wouldn't taste anything like they did in 1914 - pretty much like the chocolate wouldn't either. Still, it's your wallet and your lungs.

I frequently worry about my collector gene. You can actually learn about all this stuff in books without every buying anything other than a library ticket. The undefinable warm glow that you get from holding something that they held is however such a mysterious and powerful force. In an odd way, it makes it feel like you are almost shaking their hands. On the other side of that coin is the fact that owning an object can spur on your learning. It frequently works that way for me. I will buy something, and then learn about it in order to better understand it. Visiting a museum is somehow not enough - I need to own one!

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike, 

That was maybe the best way to describe it. I completely agree with you. It's an almost indescribable force to hold an item that survived time and to consider which hands held it during the period it came from. I have an old Parliamentarian newspaper from the English Civil War and I often wonder who handled it then and over the centuries. And yes, visiting a museum or cracking open a book is great in its own way, but it doesn't compare to sensing the weight or material of the actual item in one's hands. :)

- Dave

I get the impression that quite a lot of people have been tempted to try one cigarette , judging by the number of contents ( mine included ) where

the tobacco is complete but the cigarettes are opened with just one missing .

5 hours ago, Black Maria said:

I get the impression that quite a lot of people have been tempted to try one cigarette , judging by the number of contents ( mine included ) where

the tobacco is complete but the cigarettes are opened with just one missing .

That's a very good point. You're right, the loose pipe tobacco seems to turn up more frequently than the cigarettes. 

3 hours ago, DapperDave said:

That's a very good point. You're right, the loose pipe tobacco seems to turn up more frequently than the cigarettes. 

Having made my post I had a quick look on e-bay and all the tins with contents had the unopened tobacco and opened cigarettes . I actually hadn't

realised until today that there were suppose to be twenty cigarettes in the pack. Having a look at my own tin I notice that I have eleven left in my pack

so the cigarettes must have been quite good :D 

25 minutes ago, Black Maria said:

Having made my post I had a quick look on e-bay and all the tins with contents had the unopened tobacco and opened cigarettes . I actually hadn't

realised until today that there were suppose to be twenty cigarettes in the pack. Having a look at my own tin I notice that I have eleven left in my pack

so the cigarettes must have been quite good :D 

Ha! - If they had been that good, you would have just have had the empty packet! You are now causing me to wonder if anyone has ever found a full SRD rum jar. Completely off topic for this thread, but it demonstrates how my mind works.

Regards,

Mike

19 minutes ago, Medaler said:

Ha! - If they had been that good, you would have just have had the empty packet! You are now causing me to wonder if anyone has ever found a full SRD rum jar. Completely off topic for this thread, but it demonstrates how my mind works.

Regards,

Mike

Now that I would like to try !

On 9/23/2017 at 00:32, Medaler said:

... I frequently worry about my collector gene. You can actually learn about all this stuff in books without every buying anything other than a library ticket. The undefinable warm glow that you get from holding something that they held is however such a mysterious and powerful force. I

On 9/23/2017 at 00:52, GWF1967 said:

Getting hands on is totally different to seeing something in a book or glass case.  But once you start....!

On 9/23/2017 at 01:40, DapperDave said:

...  That was maybe the best way to describe it. I completely agree with you. It's an almost indescribable force to hold an item that survived time and to consider which hands held it during the period it came from. 

18 hours ago, Black Maria said:

Now that I would like to try !

Seconded all the way through - especially the unopened SRD prospect!

5 minutes ago, trajan said:

That would be some mighty strong rum and a treat! One swig and it's time for a nap :) 

19 hours ago, Medaler said:

Regards,

Mike

Two replies here.

PM Tin ciggies. - A few years ago I was talking to an ex soldier who said that one of his mates was ordered to clear out a loft above some offices in their camp. In doing so he found a large wooden box filled with un-issued Mary tins. They suddenly became the tobacco kings of the camp. Most of the tins were dumped but the multiple sets of two packets were traded for a week before the supply ran dry. He said that even after 50 years the cigarettes were still usable although not perfect. They didn't care as they had a very good supply of fags for a week and extra cash.

SRD Jars - full for the use of. About 8-10 years ago 4 unopened SRD jars were found at an RAF airfield in Germany. Probably left over from WW2. They were auctioned for charity and made about £800 each.

John

Edited by Gunner Bailey

1 hour ago, trajan said:

I recently purchased a Moira SRD bottle that, whilst unfortunately empty, still smells of rum. 

• 10 months later...

The four companies claimed to have been engaged to produce the tins are:

1. Barclay & Fry Ltd, London, who also did the Queen Victoria chocolate tins for J.S. Fry & Sons Ltd back in 1899.

2. Barringer Wallis & Manners Ltd, Mansfield, who also did the Queen Victoria chocolate tins for Rowntree & Co. Ltd back in 1899.

3. Hudson Scott & Sons Ltd, Carlisle, who also did the Queen Victoria chocolate tins for Cadbury Ltd back in 1899.

4. O.T. Banks Ltd - unfortunately I have no information at all about this company.

Hope this is of some help.

6 hours ago, Wayne Saillard said:

4. O.T. Banks Ltd - unfortunately I have no information at all about this company.

I can help there...

O.T Banks Ltd - Factory and HQ at 111 High Street, Clapham, London. Telephone No. Brixton 1918

London Showroom - 49 Mortimer Street

WW1 Products (after the Mary Tin) - Torches and signalling equipment, Morse key tappers, Electrical equipment and portable lamps.

Pre WW1 Products - Electrical and mechanical engineers, Art Metal works and Stampings, Buttons and motor accessories.

Staff - 18 Male and 21 Female - so a small company.

John

11 hours ago, Wayne Saillard said:

Hi John,

Thanks for filling in the gap.  Any idea what the initials O.T. stood for by any chance?

No, I don't have that.