Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rev Henry Samuel Frank Williams MC. MiD

ASD

Does any one please have a photograph of this genetleman. I believe a few years ago when his medal group was sold at auction there was a "caricature" of him entitled "the padre"

The Rev. H.S.F.Williams, a former vicar of Barry and then St. Matthew’s Pontypridd, Chaplain to the 1/5th Welsh at Gallipoli and later Palestine.

The Rev. HS Frank Williams MC Mid, volunteered for military service at the outbreak of the Great War with the local battalion which formed part of the 53rd Welsh Division. At the time he was Vicar of St Matthew’s Church, Trallwn, Pontypridd.

His baptism of fire was at Gallipoli landing on 8th August 1915. The division was to suffer heavy casualties before evacuation to Egypt. He served with the 5th Welsh and 53rd Division throughout the Palestine campaign and had the distinction of conducting the first Christian service in Jerusalem after the occupation by British troops and also conducted the first military Christian service in Bethlehem in 500 years. (Since the time of the crusades).He was awarded the Military Cross (reverse engraved “Rev HSF Williams) for Gallantry under Fire Gaza, 26.3.1917. This honour was conferred at Jerusalem 19.3.1918. he was also awarded 1914/15 Star, “Rev ACD”, British War Medal, Victory, MiD. Accompanied by a Trallwn Pontypridd Great War Tribute Medal engraved “Mjr Rev. HSF Williams.MC.

The Military Cross citation was published in the London Gazette on 11th August 1917.

“For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He displayed magnificent courage and devotion in collecting the wounded from the open under heavy shell fire, helping the Medical Officer at the Regimental Aid Post and remaining out all night searching for wounded. He showed complete disregard for his personal safety and rejoined the battalion in an exhausted condition.”

He was mentioned in dispatches on 6th July 1917 and 11th June 1918.

He wrote an account of the first battle of Gaza which was published in a local newspaper. It is quite humble and extremely vivid.

The Welsh at Gaza; “The battalion had a beastly ground to advance over, flat and bare of cover. It was not until about 10am on Monday 26th march that the fog lifted sufficiently to reveal what lay in front. I with my brigade, was away on the left, on a rough ridge torn with deep gullies and ravines, over which we had to advance, and from this ridge I stood with our colonel and watched the sea mists rollaway like a curtain. The houses and gardens and minarets of Gaza came into view like a stage set. Our objective was a very strong natural position, improved by art, and known as the labyrinth – a nasty nut to crack, as the ground was very rough. The ravines running down from the side of the ridge were torn by rainstorms and ranged from a foot wide and two feet deep to twenty or thirty feet and as much deep, with perpendicular sides. You can picture how fatiguing the business was under a scorching sun and with a pint and a half of water in two days. The lads from Wales went into action across their flat fields at 10.30am and by four p.m. they had won their way into the citadel and were clearing the Turks out in fine style.

Meanwhile on the ridge which runs towards Gaza and terminates in the labyrinth, a maze of trenches was heavily machine gunned. We had stood in the morning mist until 10a.m., waiting for it to roll seawards and at last the word to advance came at about 11a.m. We and another battalion were selected to attack, the rest being held in reserve. We made straight for our objective under shellfire and machine gun fire as we topped each rise. At 1.30p.m. we were into the labyrinth and cleared the ground, but at three p.m. our right and left flanks were left in the air and our position became critical.

Urgent messages for support, also for more ammunition, water and stretchers were sent. The wounded were lying out in the blazing sun and we had to carry on as best we could. So the day wore on until sunset. The night which followed was as bitterly cold as the day had been hot and we simply lay where we were, and fell asleep only to wake with teeth chattering in an hour or two. Breakfast was only a biscuit, some bully beef and a swig of water, which had arrived at 2 a.m. that night we fell back on our original position. We had all realised our objectives, taken 800 prisoners, including a G.O.C., and staff and numbers of guns. I don’t know what the Turkish losses are but they must be severe. The whole division has done magnificently and given the turksd a terrible shake up.

The men have been magnificent. My stretcher bearers (that was my job during the action as we were so handicapped for men and stretchers) were beyond praise – cool steady and ready for anything. One came along with me to bury one of our poor boys, and together we dug a shallow grave about 200 yards away from the very cactus hedge which screened some Turkish machine guns; but they left us alone much to lour relief. Well, it is over, and we are getting ready for another push, which I hope will finish off the business.

I hope and pray the parish is still flourishing in spite of everything”.

After his discharge he returned to his parish. Later he moved to Foleshill near Coventry. At the time of his leaving the Parishioners paid him the tribute which was published in the local newspaper. “They knew something about what he had done through the period throughout the dreadful adventure of Gallipoli, in Egypt and Palestine. He had been able to render great assistance to many of their boys, who would never return, and gave comfort to many of their parents and friends at home.”

On 5/31/2017 at 16:45, ASD said:

He was awarded the Military Cross (reverse engraved “Rev HSF Williams) for Gallantry under Fire Gaza, 26.3.1917. This honour was conferred at Jerusalem 19.3.1918.

No photograph, but a snippet of background info:

The investiture on 19 March 1918 was held in the square of the old Turkish barracks just inside and to the right of the Old City's Jaffa Gate

The Rev Williams was no doubt presented with his MC by the King's uncle, HRH the Duke of Connaught 

There are twelve photographs of the event to be seen here http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/matpc/item/mpc2004004565/PP/

but alas I have been unable to find one showing the Rev Williams

Good luck with your search

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you both for your responses. I saw the medal auction catalogue. It had a cartoon sketch of "The Padre".

my search continues.

• 2 years later...

Hello All in this group. I'm one of his grand children and have pictures of him.

My Mum in her last few years sold his medals and the cartoon in Tennants, Leyburn, North Yorkshire.

As a family heirloom it would be good to trace where they are and bring them home to the family.

Mark

• Admin
12 hours ago, Old Garth said:

Hello All in this group. I'm one of his grand children and have pictures of him.

My Mum in her last few years sold his medals and the cartoon in Tennants, Leyburn, North Yorkshire.

As a family heirloom it would be good to trace where they are and bring them home to the family.

Mark

Mark

Welcome to the forum.

You could ask the Auctioneers to pass a message on to the buyer and if you haven't already done so post a request in the family seeking medals section of the BMF https://britishmedalforum.com/index.php

Good luck

David

David,

Thankyou for the link to the BMF, I'll post a request. I've found some pictures of "The Padre" as requested earlier.

Pictures info. Formal picture taken in Pontypridd of Major the Rev. Frank Williams M.C. Cutting from the Christian Herald, and the cartoon and medals hanging on the wall of our old house.

Mark

Christian Herald.jpg

Rev Frank Williams2.JPG

The Padre and medals.jpg