Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map : The British Advance To Victory 8.th Aug-11.th Nov.1918

BernardC

Hello everyone,

I am a historian living in Sivry in Belgium, near the French border.

On November 11, 1918, the 9th Battalion of Manchester was part of the Bethell's Force to defeat the forces of tyranny in our village.

The 'A' coy reached at 11 o'clock the most easterly spot of the entire British army, and private James Frost was fatally wounded at this place, he died the same day.

The Municipality of Sivry wishes to celebrate these important events with dignity.

I seek for this purpose the map; "The British Advance To Victory 8.th Aug. - 11.th Nov.1918".

This map can be found in the book: Military operations: France and Belgium,1918 / compiled by Sir James Edward Edmonds.
1918 Volume V. 26 September - 11 November: The Advance to Victory.

Could you please help me ?
This is very important for our history and glory of the British Army during the WW1.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Bernard

HI Roop,

Thank you for your reply.

The author of this book in the National Archives is Sir D. Haigh's Despatches.

The map I am looking for is in the book written in 1947 by Sir James Edward Edmonds, volume 5. In my opinion the map is different.

Have a good day,
Bernard

The maps for the books should be at the NA and the notes that compiled the book. Keep looking but I think these maps will be the same basically.

Roop,

It is possible that the card is the same in this book, I will look and it was not going, I will return to the forum.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
bernard

Hello,

I think Bernard is looking for an easy-to-read map for his memorial panel. The only version available on the web is below (enlarged (!) from Google Books). I am also interested in, trying to make a "who was there" on November 11, 1918.

Best regards
Alain

ATV.jpg

Nice maps!

Bernard

Hi,

I know those maps, and  many other, representing the front around november 11 ,  but what apparently what we want both, is a map showing  the British advance, especially for me  from Valenciennes to Mons, and for Bernard  up to Sivry-Rance (Belgium). It's the  last place liberated by 9th Btn, Manchester Regiment, ( more southern, it's the French Army), for me, liberated by Canadian expeditionary corps, it's a way to show to our fellow citizens what was the role (often forgotten) of the Allies, and, if possible, only them.

Best regards

Alain

I still believe that the National Archives has exactly those maps. The maps were drawn after the war but for archive purposes are placed under the war year not the date of compilation.

Roop 

• 2 years later...

Dear Alain,

I apologise for this very late reply, but I have only just found this forum. I have an original map which shows the front line between Valenciennes and Mons on 9th November 1918. These maps were produced regularly as situation reports, compiled from various types of observation. On this one, you can see fires and explosions on the railways. This map comes from the possessions of a meteorological observer with the Royal Engineers. He kept it as a souvenir of the Armistice.

Regards,

John

IMG_3291.JPG

IMG_3292.JPG

IMG_3293.JPG