Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NIGERIA-ROLLS OF HONOUR,ETC

I have found Nigeria a bit of a blank for the Great War when trying to trace a local casualty from the east of London, A.E.Brown- First Mate on ST Porpoise, died 1917- can't even find out what happened to Porpoise.

Now- another little teaser. There are 2 "British" officers listed on CWGC as early casualties of the war- Lieutenant A.J.O'Connell, 4th Nigeria Regt. and Lieutenant M.Percival, 5th Nigeria Regt.  Alas, both are -unusually-recorded as died between-wait for it- 4th August 1914 and 31st August 1921. -that is,CWGC doesn't know what happened to them or when.

Surely, with all the resources available nowadays, these officers and their fates can be identified a little more precisely???

And of course, it's a thought that M. Percival was related to Arthur "Singapore" Percival, who served 4 years with the Nigeria regiment in the 1920s

Edited by Guest

• 9 months later...

ALBERT EDWARD BROWN, Mate, lost with this vessel on 31/1/1917 and commemorated on a memorial at St.Saviours Church, Lagos.

23 men died on 31 January 1917 when St Porpoise went down.

When Porpoise went down she was no longer in military service which is partly why details are scarce. She had reverted back to the Nigerian marine (26 April 1916) - The National Archives, Kew ref ADM 137/27

I haven't yet found out what happened to Porpoise in 1917 - it doesn't appear to have been reported to London and I assume the details are in Nigeria.

Many thanks for this- I had worked out that she was Nigerian Marine, although there is some evidence that she was taken up locally rather than by Their Lordships from London. It seems that she is the shallow-draught  vessel used on rivers in the Cameroons in 1914-1915-which would tally with being released back to Nigerian Marine in  early 1916. 

BUT I am no further forward in finding out what happened to her-not only what but also where.  There seems to be an assumption, without evidence, that she was used locally. Although this is the most probable  scenario, then it raises problems=   Nigeria is too far south for mines or for U Boat activity-and she is not listed on any of the very good sites relating to U Boat kills of the Great War. That said, the further problem is this- if she was in civil employ, then why would her losses be remembered by CWGC ? Or why is there no record at Lloyds or anywhere else that I can track that says definitively what happened.

2 further problems:

1)  I have no evidence that she was lost, as opposed to being seriously damaged-  there is a reference to a Porpoise in 1919 so it is not clear to me that she was actually sunk.

2) Without evidence, there is only presumption that she was lost locally. After the fall of Kut and the more concentrated efforts of late 1916 and early 1917, the British very methodically built up forces for the successful campaign along the Tigris from Basra to Baghdad. This was a huge "Empire" effort- the use of Indian troops is well-documented but also Labour Corps elements came from all over the place- Mauritius for one (and South Africa as well). And the Empire was scoured for shallow draught vessels -paddle steamers and the like- to provide the shipping strength for use on the Tigris-Pretty obvious that, say, a Queen Elizabeth class battleship was not going to be much good on a shallow river. So-it is just possible that  she was out of Nigerian waters when she suffered loss or,at least, losses. I suspect that  that she may actually have been taken up again-or,at least, on the way to being taken up again, probably on Admiralty charter. And to qualify for CWGC treatment the crew may have been on temp articles.

My last chances on this are the more detailed Board of Trade seaman records, especially at Greenwich which I have not done- and to ask at St.Savious direct-I am told that it is still an Anglican communion there so someone might know. I cannot track anything in Nigerian newspapers. I would like to get it right because the sheer lack of generally available information -unlike any other ship of the Great War-white or red duster-  suggests that there is a story to tell-if only I could find it.

Thank you very much for your help. Brown was a local casualty in my part of (the other) London. I have  2 South African British Army officer casualties, and one of the Northern Rhodesia Police. If you wish, I can get these biographies over to you when written up.

Edited by Guest

Porpoise is very briefly mentioned as a Nigerian Govt vessel  hired by RN, 1914-1919, in a topic called Nigerian Marine Department 1886 - 1920 on Warsailors.com

Porpoise - paddle tug (2x 12pdr, 1x 3pdr)

http://warsailors.com/forum/read.php?1,42958,42965#msg-42965 

There is also the previous topic S.T. "PORPOISE", NIGERIAN MARINE, SUNK 31JANUARY 1917?

Cheers

Maureen

Hi Maureene-  Yes, picked that up-the exchanges on that Forum are all together but alas do not take me further forward.  But I may sign on with it just to raise the matter. It's a very odd conundrum- and not just for Porpoise. Some of the Nigerian casualties elsewhere are just as vague-as we noted with the thread on that a while back.  Might give CWGC a go as well, in the hope they might have some documentation as to why Porpoise qualified.

There is also a page about the Porpoise  here, which confirms no one knows anything.

https://wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?269006

Under History it says "Jan Lettens 25/01/2018

At this time, I have no idea what happened to the paddle-steamer PORPOISE. According to CWGC, a serious accident happened, resulting in the death of at least 23 Marines in service for the Nigerian Navy".

Cheers

Maureen

Edit You could send a PM to forum member bushfighter, Harry Fecitt, who has written  many articles  on 

campaigns in Africa by the Army. Perhaps he may know about the Porpoise.

Edited by Maureene

• Admin

The 23 men are named here (scroll down to Nigeria) - probably doesn't add much?

https://firstworldwaronthisday.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/335-died-on-this-day-wed-31011917.html

David

Also this site mentions the vessel a couple of times but nothing relating to its sinking that I could see http://www.naval-history.net/WW1Battle1409Cameroons.htm

Edited by DavidOwen
adding info (or disinfo)

On 26/02/2018 at 16:05, alf mcm said:

Hi Alf- This looks very, very likely indeed.  

a) The Percival on the Zaria memorial is the only Percival/Perceval listed by CWGC for the Nigeria Regiment- and its the same  unit 5th. Although possible, the chances of 2 officers both called Perceval/Percival  in 5th Nigeria seems remote, though of course, certainty must prevail and the evidence collected.

c) The MIC for the Perceval looks right:

Medal card of Perceval, Maurice. Corps: Nigeria Regiment. Rank: Lieutenant.

War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War. Nolan P - Pickering S M. Medal card of Perceval, Maurice. Corps Regiment No Rank Nigeria Regiment Lieutenant. Cameron Highlanders Lieutenant. Non Official Volunteer Temporary Lieutenant.

Held by: The National Archives - War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Date: 1914 - 1920
Reference: WO 372/15/198155
Subjects:

Armed Forces (General Administration) | Army | Conflict | Medals | Operations, battles and campaigns

I cannot see this man listed on CWGC  - Thus, this is looking like a probable non-commemoration. I will have to look up stuff on WAFF and Nigeria Regiment but it looks like a submission to CWGC regarding Lt. Maurice Perceval  will be in order, in due course. Do you have much on Perceval???   ie What did he do in civilain life, previous military experience,etc.   (I may be cobfusing this-but I have a dim and distant memory- emphsasis on the "dim" here- that someone I looked up worked for the railways-could that have been him??)

PS-   Just had a look at the MIC image- which seems to be the right man-KIA date confirmed.  Seems to have been shuffled around the medals rolls

There are some details about him from hopkirk.org on Yinternet,dating from 2010 (For which acknowledgements and thanks are due) The differeing use of Perceval and Perceval shows up in his record. Presumably, there should be some more stuff relating to him- eg Boer War records. 

Maurice PERCEVAL

Maurice PERCEVAL was the son of John Perceval and Frances Margaret HOPEKIRK.

Maurice was born in the 3rd quarter of 1879 in the district of South Stoneham, Hampshire and his last name is listed as Percival

From family history we know Maurice served in the Boer War as a trooper, later commissioned, in the South African Light Horse. Maurice knew Winston Churchill personally, at that time.

Maurice then became a mining engineer.

During the First World War Maurice PERCEVAL lost his life in a military engagement against German forces in Cameroon, West Africa.

Maurice PERCEVAL fought with the 5th Nigeria Regiment of the Cameron Highlanders. You can view his military record here
From his military record it appears he may have been married, as his wife could be contacted through Percy B. Frere of 441 Reitz Street, Sunnyside, Pretoria, South Africa. Percy B. Frere was his brother-in-law, married to his sister Frances in December 1915. 

Did Maurice have any children if he was married? Or do the words on the military record "on behalf of his wife" refer to Frances, the wife of Percy.

I think 'on behalf of his wife' does refer to his sister Frances. If Maurice was married then his wife's name would have appeared in the probate record.

The medal card details from the National Archives mentions Cameron Highlanders, but his medal card clearly says 'Cameroons'. 

The Second Boer War medal rolls give 2 results for M. Percival, Volunteer Service Company, Oxfordshire Light Infantry, and one for M. Percival, South African Light Horse.

Regards,

Alf McM

According to the 16 January 1915 edition of 'Colony and Provincial Reporter' of Freetown, Sierra Leone: "On November 17 a British force encountered a German patrol at Geia, just north of Marua, and Lieutenant A R Peel, South Wales Borderers and Nigerian Regiment, West African frontier, and Mr M Perceval, a mining engineer who had volunteered for service, were killed."

Dear All,

This campaign was very much a Side-show. I have the medals of a Nigeria Political Service officer, Dudley Stafford Cook, who was involved on the sidelines, as it were.

H5a9537dbed290_DSCOOKMIC.jpg.d376948111db3d5c43569f840f0e021d.jpgLieut.Dudley_S_Cook.JPG.49ef416ccbf87c3832fb6d3f6cbb85a6.JPG5a95381ab8123_DudleyCookElstowSchool.jpg.060ddeea16a69e668934e85b78e069fe.jpg5a9538377439f_P1150445-Kopie.JPG.77496927d7e729179475f59cedd00e82.JPG5a95385a55333_P1150442-Kopie.JPG.e961207bb8ac5f1dde373d4e0508b5f2.JPGPerceval.Maurice_WWI.record.jpg.f96414bc47bfb49216a44491d0b7cb4d.jpgis Medal Index Card is reminiscent of that to Maurice Perceval...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

6 hours ago, Carmania said:

According to the 16 January 1915 edition of 'Colony and Provincial Reporter' of Freetown, Sierra Leone: "On November 17 a British force encountered a German patrol at Geia, just north of Marua, and Lieutenant A R Peel, South Wales Borderers and Nigerian Regiment, West African frontier, and Mr M Perceval, a mining engineer who had volunteered for service, were killed."

Yes- echoes word for word the syndicated small news report in the British Press c.19th December 1914-multiple entries for the same news item on British Newspaper Archive.  I have 2 further references to him being a mining engineer, based in Northern Nigeria. I should be able to give African newspapers at the end of the week