Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Biggest internment camp?

Phil Wood

It is easy to find articles telling me that Germans referred to Salonika as their biggest internment camp.  Does anyone have a contemporary reference for this?  Who, if anyone,a ctually said it first?

• Phil Wood changed the title to Biggest internment camp?

Phil, apologies if you have already done this, but I've just had a quick check on 't'internet' and come up with a book titled: Great Scientists of the Great War by William Van der Gloot.  In one of the chapters there is a reference to this very saying - #29 in the chapter notes - unfortunately the notes are not available to view on-line. 

Might be worth buying the e book.

Edited by pete-c

Not sure its worth the cost just for this, but I'll have a look next time I'm in the British Library.  There are numerous books quoting the phrase, one even has a chapter entitled The Greatest Internment Camp.  It is certainly a phrase that has captured the imagination so as to become commonplace within the relatively small community of authors on the Salonika campaign, but was it really used at the time? If it was did it really come from a German, or was it invented by a Westerner keen to get the font closed down? Or was it another snappy phrase invented by Allan Clarke?