Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seaforth at Mons

bif

Can anyone please help identify a book I found on the internet when I posted the question, "Seaforth at Mons" ?  What looks to be a part of some kind of history came up.  Author is H.H.E Craster.  It's a niece piece aprox 16 pages, detailing the activities of the Seaforth battalions August 1914 thru April 1916.  As it's just a slice of the book re the Mons reference, (pgs 309 thru 334),  I can't seem to id a title or that author.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.         Somewhat at a lose,   bif

Have you tried going to Google Books and pasting the phrase with the most unusual words into the search panel? You might find it hooks the fish you want.

sJ

Perhaps you could post the URL for the reference you found, by copying what appears at the top of the web page. It might be possible to then make some suggestions.

Cheers

Maureen

2nd Seaforth Highlanders were part of 10 Brigade, 4 Division and arrived at Boulogne on 23 August so missed Mons but did arrive in time for Le Cateau. I'm not sure the excerpt you're talking about was part of a history about the Seaforths, but rather a chapter in volume 16 of the Scottish Historical Review. 1st Seaforths were part of 7 (Meerut) Indian Infantry Division but didn't arrive in France until October. Here's the link to the Historical Review:

https://archive.org/details/scottishhistoric16edinuoft

As far as I know there isn't a complete history of the Seaforths in the Great War.

Dave

Dear Lost,   You aren't lost at all.  You got it.  That's the book.  See page 310 for what I found.  This site never ceases to amaze re the help one can get.  Thanks to all who responded.  Lost, I owe you one.                    Now with more time for research this weekend,    bif

You're welcome, Good luck with the research.

Dave

Good name, Dave.  That's my younger brother.