Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where's the cemetery (quiz!)

BillyH

I don't think I am likely to fool the experts on here, but can anyone identify the cemetery below?

(I have deliberately 'fuzzed' it a bit to prevent any cheating by zooming in)

BillyH.

gwf.JPG

BillyH

Not any sort of expert but i'm going to stick my neck out and say its the one in the ruins of Kinloss Abbey, Scotland, and comprised of WW2 RAF personnel.

John

14 hours ago, Knotty said:

Not any sort of expert but i'm going to stick my neck out and say its the one in the ruins of Kinloss Abbey, Scotland, and comprised of WW2 RAF personnel.

I thought it wouldn't fool the experts on here!  I was there last week, and I wanted to see the one Great War casualty.

Part of the cemetery struck me as looking like it could have been in France or Flanders and hoped it might lead to some interesting suggestions.

BillyH.

Edited by BillyH

About 3 years ago we were up in that area, we "stumbled" on the cemetery whilst touring around Lossiemouth, didn't know it had any WW1 burials. Your right about its appearance, more so if looking back from the Cross of Sacrifice if I remember correctly.

Sorry to have cut the quiz short, however there is a good chance that between all Pals we have some unusual photos of cemeteries that we could show and see if they can be identified.

John

Interesting. I'm up that way myself in a few weeks so I shall detour.

Highly recommended.

The one Great War burial (Lt. Percy Strickland) died at Jutland and he has an absolutely beautiful private headstone - photos below.

The Western Front had placed a poppy cross on the headstone on the 100th anniversay almost a year ago and it was still there, if a little weatherbeaten.

Also attached is a more interesting photo than the one in post # 1 

BillyH.

Copy of Percy Strickland.JPG

Copy of Detail 1.JPG

Copy of Detail 2.JPG

Copy of 2.JPG

Edited by BillyH

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Interesting. I'm up that way myself in a few weeks so I shall detour.

Fort George is only about 15 miles west of Kinloss, also well worth a visit.

BillyH.

Don't worry. Mrs Broomfield is really looking forward to it.

Well spotted IPT.

It's looks sad in more ways than one!  But at least it is still there 12 months on.

If you zoom in to the base of the cross, left hand side of first photo, there was a nice round pebble with a coloured heart on it.

Mrs BillyH had it spotted straight away and approved of it, but I don't think it was left by the WFA ?

BillyH.