Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GSW (Gun Shot Wound)

Mangoman

One of my grandfather's cousins served in Howitzer battery of the RFA and in 1915 his position was heavily shelled by the enemy and he received a shrapnel wound to his left arm, and yet his medical record shows he suffered a GSW which is not what I was expecting to read. So did GSW cover a multitude of wounds received during the war?

This might depend on what is meant by 'shrapnel wound'.  Shrapnel, accurately defined as it then was, is spherical bullets delivered to the target by a carrier shell. These bullets were of course very different to small arms bullets, but wounds by either type of bullet might be considered a gun shot wound.

A fragmentation wound, caused by fragments of a burst high explosive shell, are very different and I'd be surprised if the GSW term could be stretched to cover it. 

GSW and SW seem to be used interchangeably quite regularly - the terms can often be seen swapping backwards and forwards as a man moves down the casualty chain -I suspect that in real terms it made little difference whether the penetrating injury was a piece of metal from a shell or a bullet.

Craig

My Great Grandfather's records read GSW Left Thigh. The shrapnel that was dug out we still have, it's 3-4 inches of heavy, jagged metal from a shell (howitzers recorded as firing upon them).