Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grave in Eire, but not sure where!

Stephen Nulty

I was at a family wedding in Trim, Co. Meath over the weekend and in our hotel room was a print showing a ruined church/abbey with a CWGC grave at the front. I thought it looked like a lovely location for a grave but unfortunately, there was no indication of where it is located - though presumably in or close to Trim.

Unfortunately, the quality of the print wasn't adequate enough to read the inscription so I have no idea where this church/grave is. I did take a picture of it, and this is the best resolution I could get

Anybody have any ideas of  the location or identify of the deceased? 

Snap 2017-05-03 at 12.34.58.png

Thanks Dave

It would be that one, wouldn't it - with 5 CWGC burials so no way of knowing which one is in the original image!

:-)

I tell you what though - there are worse places to spend a weekend than in Trim !!! A bit less time at the bar and I might have made it out to the ruins!

3 minutes ago, Stephen Nulty said:

Thanks Dave

It would be that one, wouldn't it - with 5 CWGC burials so no way of knowing which one is in the original image!

:-)

I tell you what though - there are worse places to spend a weekend than in Trim !!! A bit less time at the bar and I might have made it out to the ruins!

Sounds like a return trip is required!

Ruin visit first then bar would be recommended..

Dave

Good man Dave!!

46 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

Ruin visit first then bar would be recommended..

Of course!

Why didn't I think of that? (note to self for future visit)

Is that stone still in that same position?

I know the images aren't taken from exactly the same angle, but looking at the distance of the stone from the nearest stone kerb, I would have thought it should appear in the newer image. I can't believe it is exactly hidden by the stone in front as to my mind, the CWGC stone would be much further from the kerb than the first image would suggest.

If you blow up the image on Flickr, you can see that the memorial on the right is to the Higgins and O'Brien families.

The stone on the left to Sheridan and Cohons(?sp) family.

Neither matches any of the 5 Great War casualties buried here.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

I thought that odd myself Dai, and put it down to the positioning of the near stone obscuring the CWGC one.

Any pals nearer than I am that could check it out?

Dave