Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with identifying uniform

Lorna Jones

Hi,

Could someone please help me identify what regiment my great uncle was in please?  This is a photograph of him cropped from one with his wife & son.

His name was William Stephen James, and he came from the Chirk area.

William Stephen James.jpg

Yes, I agree with Max, definitely the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Can you post a shot of his shoulder markings for the uniform experts to confirm or otherwise a Territorial man?

There is only one William Stephen James in RWF that received medals and he is 7203 4th Bn Territorial Force who was later renumbered to 200410.Frustratingly I cannot put him to an address or area.This one would have been a pre War Territorial man having enlisted in April 1913. Chirk is well within the 4th catchment area (in fact 7202/200409 Archie Wilson was a Chirk man) This WSJ didn't go with the 1st 4th Bn to France in November 1914 though but did serve in France with the 13th battalion (some time after about April 1917 I'd say) I mention all this in case any fits with family lore.

Alternatively, Absent Voters has William Stephen James, Vron Issa, Upper Chirk ward as Lance Corporal 266979 Army Service Corps. I cannot find anything in military records for this number only that other numbers around it seem to have been issued in October 1916. In the event that you recognise the address as 'yours' then it's feasable that he might have had UK based RWF service either before or after the ASC service.

It's highly unlikely that this ASC man is the same man as the above 4th Bn man.