Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

greatunclebilly

Trench Map June 1917 - Battle Wood - Ypres-Comines Canal - Spoil Bank

greatunclebilly

I'm researching the movements of my Great Uncle Billy, Private William Dugdale G/42694 of the 13th Battalion Middlesex Regiment, who was killed in action on June 20 1917. His name is on the Menin Gate.

The War Diary entries for June 19 and 20 are:

June 19: Batts relieved 2nd LEINSTERS in the line, from RAILWAY EMBANKMENTS in BATTLE WOOD to YPRES-COMINES CANAL inclusive. Much shelling during relief & 4 Casualties.A Coy on left, C Coy in centre, B Coy on SPOIL BANK on right, D Coy in Reserve.

June 20: Consolidating & strengthening new line under persistent heavy shelling.

A letter to his parents from his Captain stated that he was killed whilst "holding a newly won trench".

I'm visiting Ypres on the centenary of his death. I've worked out roughly where the area is between the railway and canal on modern maps but wondered if I would be able to get a more accurate position of where he might have been killed from the position of trenches on trench maps from that period? I don't know which company he was in to narrow it down further from the info in the diaries - I assume it's not likely to be able to get that detailed information?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Stuart

jonbem

have a look at HQ DIARY. Several maps. June 17 from image 291 on ancestry

Piece 2217/1-7: 73 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters (1917 Jan - 1919 Mar)

John Milner

Stuart

Send me a PM with your e-mail address for a map with the trench names on it.

John

Pte. Attwell

Stuart,

While doing research of my own, I came across your post. My great grandfather, Pte Arthur Attwell G/42703 was with the 13th Middlesex, too. My research took me to the same geographical area as yours but so far, I am I able to determine what company he was assigned to.  He was killed on June 20, 1917 with several others while strengthening new trenches.  He has no known grave and is commemorated at the Menin memorial.  I’ve learned that his records were destroyed during the Blitz and just a medal card remains.  If you were able to find out anything else about your great uncle, I’m hopeful you’d share what you learned and give my own research a jump start.   Ultimately I will make a return trip to Ypres when my project is complete. 

Bryan