Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernest Williams

mlrix

I am trying to find out some more detail about my Great-Grandfather's military experience in the First World War. He was a member of the Royal Garrison Artillery, regimental number 177840. I have downloaded several documents, below, but all I've been able to find is his medals, the fact he was a gunner in the RGA and was in Base Details, meaning I am unsure of the unit he served in and therefore unable to find the unit diary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

31240_209002-00283.jpg

41629_611411_5419-00049 (1).jpg

WO 372_21_184740 (dragged).jpg

Hi,

The info is there just needs a bit of zooming in.

Signal Depot Catterick

very faint it then says BEF

Then 68 Sge...68th Siege Battery

Clearing Office (is what it reads like)

Signal Depot Fareham.

It then gives detail of his gassing treatment via 3 Australia Gen Hospt Abbeville in March 1918.

Regards

Andy

Screenshot_20170428-182451.png

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Seems he was in the Reserve from Dec 15, until 1917 when he went for Signaller training, there is an annotation he qualified as a class 1 signaller.

Also entitled to a Kings Silver War Badge.

There is also a record on FWR site about his admission into CCS G & A (??) in regard the Gassing on the 14th Mar 18.

Edited by HolymoleyRE

That's brilliant. Thank you. Feel like a bit of a fool now as it's only after I've seen your screen shot that I realised the document on ancestry.com is more that one page! [red cheeked]. Thanks again - I should hopefully be able to pull out the war diaries now.

Hi mlrix,

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 19:11, HolymoleyRE said:

There is also a record on FWR site about his admission into CCS G & A (??) in regard the Gassing on the 14th Mar 18

The transcript record that Andy found indicates that he was admitted to a CCS from 149 Field Ambulance. They were part of 63 (Royal Naval) Division. The war diary for 149 FA is unlikely to give you that much. The diary for the Assistant Director Medical Services 63 Division, may show initial evacuation arrangements and indicate the specific CCS that he was likely passed to.

Regards

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Out of interest, does anyone know where I can find out about the movements of the 68th siege battery to understand where he may have been injured?

Thanks in advance!