Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Volunteer Battalion, Black Watch

Ron Abbott

Some advice would be gratefully appreciated.....

I've been looking at the background of a soldier called Andrew Kirk (lived 1877 to 1953).  

He served as a Piper in the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Black Watch since the Boer War and his regimental number was 8074.  He continued to serve as a Piper in the 1st Bn. Black Watch in 1914 and 1915 until discharged as unfit for service in August 1915.

After WW1, he went on to become Pipe-Major of various youth groups in St. Andrews and subsequently as Pipe-Major of the St. Andrews University Officers Training Corps.

My query is in relation to his service in 1917 and 1918.

There are many newspaper articles from these two years which refer to him as Pipe-Major of either the 'St. Andrews Volunteers' or the 'St. Andrews Company of the Fife Volunteers'. Clearly military related as the articles mention them getting new machine guns etc.

Then on Ancestry I surfaced an index card for him that is dated January 1919.  It appears that he wrote to the army regarding his eligibility for the LS & GC medal and the army recorded him on the card as Pipe-Major A Kirk of the 9th Volunteer Battalion, Black Watch.

I hadn't come across the battalion before.  From the newspaper articles it is very clear that he was not overseas but in St. Andrews/surrounding area throughout the 1917/1918 period.

And yet I note from the following webpage (please view the last paragraph) that the 9th VB did apparently exist and were apparently a unit of the Fifeshire Volunteer Regiment : -

http://thaneofife.org.uk/volunteer%20reserve.html

Can anyone kindly advise: -

(a) what would the correct name be for the unit he was Pipe-Major of?  Is it really the 9th VB of the Black Watch or maybe 9th Bn of the Fifeshire Volunteer Regiment? 

(b) what was the charter/purpose of this battalion/regiment? 

(c) how long was it in existence?

I see no mention in the Long Long Trail.  Was it a National Reserve unit? 

Many thanks in advance.

Ron.

• 6 months later...

Ron,  just came across this old post of yours.

According to Kipling & King, The St. Andrew's Volunteer Training Corps became the 9th V B The Black Watch.

Fifeshire Volunteer Regiment later the 7th ,8th and 9th VB.

No dates are given for the changes.

Below is an image of badge worn by St. Andrew VTC.

st-andrews-vtc-rare-ww1-cap-badge-_10663_main_size3 - Copy.jpg

38 minutes ago, ronmarsden said:

Ron,  just came across this old post of yours.

According to Kipling & King, The St. Andrew's Volunteer Training Corps became the 9th V B The Black Watch.

Fifeshire Volunteer Regiment later the 7th ,8th and 9th VB.

No dates are given for the changes.

Below is an image of badge worn by St. Andrew VTC.

st-andrews-vtc-rare-ww1-cap-badge-_10663_main_size3 - Copy.jpg

Ron....thanks....Ron

Apologies. I missed this thread the first time round.

You might like to look at the replies to my earlier thread about another Volunteer Battalion of the Black Watch which will give you some idea of dates.

I am sure there are other threads which cover the topic. I think that the intention was that all Volunteer Training Corps battalions would become Volunteer Battalions of the local infantry regiments, but the war ended before it was implemented in most cases. The Black Watch was one of the few where it was. (If that is correct - no credit to me, it is in a thread somewhere!)

RM