Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gordon Shephard

oak

I would be very grateful if anyone could give me information on the family of Gordon Shephard, youngest Brigadier-General of the RFC. One biography on Erskine Childers said that Shephard was Anglo-Irish, but gave no further details or a source for the statement. Shephard assisted Childers in his July 1914 gunrunning on behalf of the Irish Volunteers. The following month both men went off to fight for King and Country.

Regards,

Philip

Philip

Brig-Gen G S Shephard is featured in Mike O'Connor's excellent new book Airfields and Airmen: Arras ISBN 1 84415 125 5. As well as his story, there's a photograph of the man and his original grave.

The book says he was born in Madras, India, in July 1885 and was the son of Horatio Shephard, a High Court Judge. The family returned to England in 1901.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

Have you seen this book:

Leslie, Shane, ed. Memoirs of Brigadier-General Gordon Shephard, D.S.O., M.C.

London Privately Printed 1924 fair to good Brigadier-General Shephard flew to France in 1914 with the Flying Corps. He was killed in the last year of the war. illus., 2 fold-out maps, some wrinkling to flyleaves, boards and spine somewhat scuffed and edges worn, stains to spine

ISBN:

WW1 Aviation Memoirs Great Britain Royal Flying Corps France Western Front Yatching Generals

Inventory #: 011012

Robbie

http://www.groundzerobooksltd.com/store/011012.htm

and more info at this site:

http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Shephard.htm

Many thanks Gareth and Robbie,

I'll try to track those books down.

Regards,

Philip