Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal artillery in Bermuda 1919

Achui

Hi

i was wondering if anyone could help.

i am looking for my great grandfather who was in Lydd in 1918. We believe he left for Bermuda with the royal artillery and stayed there for some time, 5-10 years. 

How do I find out if that happened and where can I see the information? Did they go to Bermuda?

his name was Charles Barnard.

thanks so much. 

On the 1911 census, there was a Sgt Charles Barnard, Royal Artillery clerks section, a 30 year old born in Stratford.

This man has service papers online which show that he enlisted in 1899 as no 1223, and appears to have been in Lydd between 17th November 1917 and 7th December 1918. He was discharged in January 1919 with bronchitis and deafness.

What may be the same man is shown on passenger lists to Bermuda numerous times in the 1930s.

Hi Achui,

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have anymore details about Charles? How do you know that he was in Lydd in 1918? Do you have his service number, DoB, place of birth, where he lived, etc - anything really that may help to track him down? If he was born before 1901, and served until after 1921 he should appear on this extract of services files held by the MoD.

Barnard.jpg.37e65f4c12885216c73e0dc4fadb866a.jpg

Do any of the DoBs (USA format) appear to match?

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

There is a record on findmypast, the transcription of which is below. I must go now, but will look at the image later, unless someone else can post details.

Cheers

Maureen

First name(s) Hy. Charles
Last name Barnard
Age 18
Birth year 1885
Birth place London
Attestation year 1903
Service number 1031488
Former service number  32408
Record set Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Regimental & service records
Collections from Great Britain

The above record  for service number 1031488,  was the only  one which showed up in the search results  for immediate post war service when I searched for Charles Barnard, in the database Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942.

He was married to Alice Matilda Smith at Folkestone  22-1-22 and discharged 4-10-24 (subject to my eyesight reading handwritten records)

As the record IPT located has the man at Lydd, perhaps this (service number no 1223) is the correct record, and the man in question went to Bermuda in a private capacity,  having previously left   the Royal Artillery in 1919.

Cheers

Maureen

17 hours ago, IPT said:

On the 1911 census, there was a Sgt Charles Barnard, Royal Artillery clerks section, a 30 year old born in Stratford.

This man has service papers online which show that he enlisted in 1899 as no 1223, and appears to have been in Lydd between 17th November 1917 and 7th December 1918. He was discharged in January 1919 with bronchitis and deafness.

What may be the same man is shown on passenger lists to Bermuda numerous times in the 1930s.

I should have mentioned that this man married Emily Coleman on 25/10/1900, and had a son Leslie Charles born 19/11/1901.

Hi everyone 

thankyou!

i have dob as 1901. 

Charles Henry Barnard.

i think the regiment number is 84771.

he went to Bermuda we believe as well as India, Singapore and India.

he was Married to Margaret Brewsher (?sp)

I have these, but I don't understand the information. 

Thanks so much for all the help. 

21 hours ago, IPT said:

I should have mentioned that this man married Emily Coleman on 25/10/1900, and had a son Leslie Charles born 19/11/1901.

IMG_1973.JPG

IMG_1974.JPG

21 hours ago, IPT said:

Such amazing information. I find these things so hard to find. 

The man who married Margaret Bewsher in Manhatten on 27/10/1923, was born c1900, the son of John Charles Barnard and Harriet Painie. Margaret was born in Lancashire in 1901, the daughter of John and Mary Bewsher.

This appears to be the man you have papers for, although he has changed his age, and place of birth. On the 1940 census, he appears with wife Margaret and children Charles, Robert, Richard and Ronald, still in Bernardsville, NJ. 

The other man, who was in Lydd, and in the Royal Artillery, and had a Bermuda connection, was born c1881 in Stratford, London.

It might be helpful if you tell us what you have got, and where you got the Lydd information from.

We have that information too. We are trying to figure out if he was in lydd. 

This is where my great grandmother was.

his DNA has matched, we just need to place him going to the lydd military camp to be sure it is him. 

We know his son and grandson were born in Bermuda. His great grandson said he was English and we've found he was born in Brighton. 

If we place him training at the lydd camp in 1918 then we can be certain it's him.

But it's hard to do that as we don't know how.

ali

The record displayed  in post 7 is for someone in the Rifle Brigade, who appears to have been discharged around February 1919.

Where is the connection with the Royal Artillery?

Maureen

44 minutes ago, Maureene said:

The record displayed  in post 7 is for someone in the Rifle Brigade, who appears to have been discharged around February 1919.

Maureen

Hi Maureen 

thanks for your help. So kind.

we were always told he was royal artillery. The only things we ever knew was his name and this.

so we were just going with that and only came across those papers about 20mins before I sent them to you.

the person in the papers had a son Ronald, who had Michael who had Justin. She has connected to them very strongly with the DNA from ancestry. So we just need to see if he was in lydd, as that's where my gran and her mum were and where she fell pregnant. 

Complex I know. Sorry.

ali

8 hours ago, Maureene said:

Maureen

Another thing Maureen, he is born in NY. 

There was 3 different documents but all sorted now. 

Ali

• 5 years later...

From 1910 through the 1920s there was a Bermuda Police Force Sergeant at the St. George's Station (the RGA in Bermuda was mostly close by at St. George's Garrison as coastal artillery was thickest near the main shipping channel there) named C. Charles Barnard, who I suppose might formerly have been a soldier. There was later a prosecutor named Barnard in Bermuda and also a Bermudian actress named Pat Barnard, either of whom may or may not have been related. In 1950, the army intended to move an artillery regiment to St. George's Garrison in Bermuda, which had become largely vacant since the regular garrison was drastically reduced in the 1920s and most of the remaining personnel were concentrated at Prospect Camp (there was a third large camp, with barracks for more than 1,000 soldiers, at Boaz Island, which was transferred back to the Admiralty in the 1930s to become a Royal Naval Air Station). The army gave long term leases to married quarters at St. George's Garrison, primarily to former soldiers (among the units the residents were noted to have served in were the regular Royal Artillery, the Lincolnshire Regiment, and King's Shropshire Light Infantry, as well as the territorials, the Bermuda Militia Artillery and Bermuda Volunteer Rifle Corps). Forty-nine families were to be evicted in 1950 to make way for the personnel of the incoming regiment, but that regiment was never posted to Bermuda...probably due to the sudden decision that year to reduce the Royal Naval Dockyard Bermuda from a dockyard to a naval base (the squadron of the America and West Indies Station would still be based there, but any ships requiring repair or refit would have to cross the Atlantic to Portsmouth). Among the residents intended to be evicted was a Charles Barnard, who occupied a former Quartermaster Sergeant's quarters and evidently made his living in arts and crafts, having for the previous fifteen years carved fish, boats, and other figures there. He was not upset by the evictions plan as he was already planning to move to Turkey Hill, in St. George's Town.

Edited by aodhdubh