Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpretation of Grave Registration Report Form

tootrock

I am looking at the Grave Registration Report Form of an RFC man who died in a crash in England, and was buried in his local churchyard. He does not have a CWGC headstone. On the Registration Form, under "Type of Memorial" it has "P.P(Perm)", and under "Type of Grave" it has "Pr" (my inverted commas). On another sheet it states "Headstone for this grave is not included in the contract".

Am I right in thinking that this means that there was to be a private headstone on this man's grave, or at least no CWGC headstone, by request?

Martin

Martin 

i know that sometimes the initials PM would appear it means Private Memorial.  Please send the details of the casualty in question.

All the ones I have with family gravestones have this annotation. 'Pr. M' I presume meaning Private Memorial. The 'contract' bit I also take to mean there's no contract to create a headstone for this man and possibly no contract to care for the grave since there's no CWGC headstone on it. It must then fall to the church or local authority.

Charlie,

Thanks for that - all is now clear.

Martin

Edited by tootrock
Correction