Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Group Hospital Parkhouse

Hi,

I am researching a solider who was in the Australian Imperial Force, George Francis TOOKE service number 1363.  His service record says he was 'sick to Group Hospital Parkhouse' from 12.11.18 to 17.11.18.  I am seeking information about the hospital at Parkhouse and whether there are any records available.  Hoping someone can help out.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gina,

Park House was used by the AIF as a training depot mainly for Australian Army Service Corps and Australian Army Medical Corps. Other units were trained there and it looks like your man arrived with the Australian Army Veterinary Corps and was hospitalized in the camp hospital. I know of no records for the hospital. Serious medical issues are normally included within a soldiers service records.

The AAVC Training Depot maintained a brief war diary whilst they were there-

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RCDIG1002952/

Scott

Hi Scott

Thank you for the information about the Park House training depot, particularly the link to the war diary.  I've got a copy of one of the other war diaries for the AAVC but didn't make the connection that the Training Depot was Park House, so thank you for providing the link. It's helpful to read the diary to get some context to where my solider was.  His  service record doesn't make mention of what his illness was and as his stay in the hospital was of short duration it probably wasn't  serious.  

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.  Much appreciated.

Gina