Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15th (Service) Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment

Mangoman

Am looking at a man's attestation paper which states that he was posted to the 15th (LR) Battalion, Glos. Regiment. I know that it was a Service Battalion but what the letters 'LR'  stand for?

9 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

Am looking at a man's attestation paper which states that he was posted to the 15th (LR) Battalion, Glos. Regiment. I know that it was a Service Battalion but what the letters 'LR'  stand for?

Not one I've seen before. The battalion wasn't raised until 1915 as a reserve battalion so I assume it's something for Lxxx Reserve but that's a guess.

EDIT:
Was it in 1916 - could it be TR for 'Training Reserve' . The battalion was changed to the TR in Sep 16.

http://www.1914-1918.net/glos.htm

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

British regiments in the Great War states 'formed in August 1915 from Depot Coys of 12th and 14th battalions at Sutton Coldfield as a Local Reserve Battalion 

The man's discharge papers  were rubber stamped 'Lieut. Colone lCommanding 15th (LR) Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment' 

I would say that LR = Local Reserve, is the answer.  On 1st September 1916 they became 93rd Training Reserve Battalion at Chisledon in the 22nd Reserve Brigade.  So if the discharge papers are after 1/09/1916 it is possible the CO kept using the stamp until a new one was made available 

Manyn thanks gentlemen for your input. Much appreciated.