Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNAS flight training fields in early 1917

I've just joined this forum and by simply scanning the threads I can see there is a huge amount of WWI aviation knowledge here, so I think I've come to the right place to get my questions answered.  

1.  What were some of the pilot training fields that the RNAS used in 1917?

2.  What airplanes would they have been using for training at this time?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Can't comment for all places but my great uncle did his initial flying at Vendome, France and used a Cauldron G3

This facility was set up because of poor weather in England which had hampered training numbers 

Edited by Gustywinds

My grandfather didn't do his till 1918 but started in Bristol and moved to Sheppey.

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 18:26, sogriffin said:

I've just joined this forum and by simply scanning the threads I can see there is a huge amount of WWI aviation knowledge here, so I think I've come to the right place to get my questions answered.  

1.  What were some of the pilot training fields that the RNAS used in 1917?

2.  What airplanes would they have been using for training at this time?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi

There is a summary of the RNAS Training system at this time in the Official History 'War in the Air' Vol. 5, from page 438.

There was a re-organisation which resulted in a standardized training system from 1st April 1916, on Aeroplane Pilots the above source, page 440 states:

"After a disciplinary course at the Crystal Palace, pupils were to be posted for preliminary flying training (20 to 24 hours solo) to the Schools at Eastchurch, Chingford, Eastbourne, or Redcar.  They were then to pass on to Cranwell for advanced training in cross-country flying, navigation, engines, aerial gunnery, bomb-dropping, photography and wireless telegraphy."

Pilots training at Vendome, as mentioned, would also pass on to Cranwell.  This latter aerodrome had a sub-station at Freiston (to give advanced training to pilots in air fighting and bomb dropping.  Chingford also had a sub-station at Fairlop.

Aircraft used in training varied, various Avro 504 models appear at all of the stations, Caudron G3, DH.6, Curtiss JN4, BE2c and others are also used at different aerodromes.  For more advanced training, Sopwith Pups, Camels and Strutters appear as do DH.4 and DH.9.  It can all depend on the 'exact' time period and type of advanced training the pilot required for the operational unit he was to go to.

Mike

• 3 years later...

There is extensive information on Vendome Aerodrome in Clive Semple's book "Diary of a Night Bomber Pilot in World War I", including several pictures.