Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Parker Williams, 14 Welsh, 17976 - wound info?

Bernard_Lewis

Helping a local Facebook person (I don't get paid for this...) re the above chap. I've found him on Ancestry and, as far as I can see, his MIC and Medal Roll stuff is on there. So I've seen that. He's also on a 1915 list of men who proceeded overseas with the 14th Welsh in December 1915.

I can't find his service record. I assume it's destroyed. The family say he was shot through the lung. Would there be any record of his wounds on e.g. Find My Past etc? I assume not but I don't know. Any ideas?

Also, as an aside, he seems to have received a 'medal' for good attendance from the Liverpool Education Committee in 1921. He was a Swansea lad so I am wondering if there was a 'central' scheme of some sort up at Liverpool for wounded old soldiers? The family have no idea how he ended up with an award from Liverpool. 

All help, as always, much appreciated!

Bernard

He ended up on Class Z reserve 17/2/19. Not on WO Official Casualty List but the online coverage is not 100%. One would think being shot through the lung would get a discharge and a SWB rather than patched up and sent back in.

TEW

Find my Past has only two military records for John, both of them are transcripts. Medal index card, which you have and a record for the Swansea Pals,  Next of kin given as his mother , Mrs A Williams  18 Sebastopol Street, St Thomas ,Swansea. Also on Find my Past  1939 Register  John P Williams , a caretaker, his wife Gladys L Williams. plus two unopened records, Children? living at 532 Mumbles Road Swansea.

Bob

Thanks folks. 

Indeed, the lung wound sounded very serious to me, too. 

Bernard