Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VAD Card info please

FrankieB

Hi. My grandmother served as a VAD twice. Attached her VAD card showing info regarding her 2nd stint, after which she had a long bout os Spanish Flu (and survived). 

She used to speak fondly of her time at Aldershot, which must have been her first stint. I found the VAD card on the British Red Cross website, but no info re Aldershot. On the line ’previous engagements' PT 6 is written and I was eondering what that means - perhaps the Aldersot location?

Actually any pointers to how I could find out more about her service would be great! Thank you.

IMG_2557.PNG

Hello Frankie,

Welcome to the forum.

What you think is 'P.T.6' is actually 'P.T.O.' This refers to the other side of her record card, which shows she served at Reading War Hospital from 06/08/1918 to 06/09/1919. Edinburgh 24 is her VAD Detachment number. Edinburgh 24 was the 12th female VAD Detachment to be formed in the Edinburgh area. {Female detachments were always given even numbers}. It was also the 10th VAD Detachment formed in the City of Edinburgh. It would therefore be officially known as Edinburgh 24/{Edinburgh 10}.

For further details on VAD's and other aspects of nursing I can recommend 'Scarlet Finders' website, written by the late Sue Light, available here http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/2.html

Regards,

Alf McM

Many thanks for your help and information Alf. Now I can see that it's PTO. I'll have a good look at Scarlet Finders.

[My gran fell in love with an Australian Sapper who was later killed in action. I presume she'd met him as a patient at Aldershot - I have a photo of him dated 1917 - so I'm hoping to find out a bit more about him too.]