Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding information on my Grandfathers RFC History

AmisUK

Hi,

This is my first post to the forum, and almost a last measure in tracing more information about my grandfathers RFC record.

My Grandfather was Reginald Frederick Mantripp, I know from personal effects left in the house that he was in the RFC during WWI (included postcards of Farnborough, aircraft & an RFC Training Handbook), and then he was also in the RAF during WWII, RAF No. 60328 and rank of Corporal.

He would have been 15 in December 1914, and the rumour is that he tried to enlist the first time and was refused, but on his second try he got in.

I have a RFC handbook dated 1914 with a stamp mentioning Aircraft Maintanence, but my relatives told me that my grandfather was a pilot flying Sopworth Pup's and Camels.

He was according to relatives grounded during WWII due to his age (41), and was working in vehicle maintanence of which I have pictures of him in his RAF uniform.

I tried to find a record of him at Kew in the medal index, but found nothing, and was told this was not unusual as most RFC records were destroyed.

I was informed that his RFC records might have been kept with his RAF records for WWII, but after contacting the records section of the RAF 3 times now, and having been promised details of how to obtain details of his record in the post... I still haven't received anything.

Can anybody help or point me in the right direction for further research?

Regards

Paul