Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Craigie, Melville Dairy, Glasnevin.

Ian C

Hi

I have recently been sent this photo from the UK by a lady who's ancestors lived in the Botanic Gardens area of Dublin and worked at the Melville dairy, and which has come to her through her family, and she wonders if I can find any info about it. The couple at centre back are George and Emily Craigie (she is carrying a flag).

Judging by the number of wounded soldiers in the photo, my first thought is a 'convalescence home', but the photo appears to have been taken in the middle of nowhere!!

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Regards

IanC58ea9c03ac939_WW1Dublin.thumb.jpg.eb67dc29fa1a97b07fde8c5bf7cd0a58.jpg 

I have no idea where it is, but it could be Irish Counties War Hospital  at Glasnevin. Given their central position in photo it is presumably somewhere local to them

As far as I can see George Craigie was the owner of the dairy, and appears in 1911 census as such. However he is not in 1901 Irish census. Nor can I get his birth circa 1881

Party 1 Name EMILY BARRY
Party 2 Name GEORGE CRAIGIE
Date of Event 09 June 1914
Group Registration ID 1824544
SR District/Reg Area

Dublin North

Possible?

Death of George CRAIGIE in 1959

Group Registration ID2036051

SR District/Reg AreaDublin North

Deceased Age at Death78

Ingrid, full of Grace

Ciara Dwyer

January 24 2010 5:00 AM

As a six-year-old, Ingrid Craigie dreamed of becoming a colonel in the Army, but it was theatre that opened up new worlds and set the stage for her mesmerising talent. Currently starring in Brian Friel's Faith Healer, her favourite play, Ciara Dwyer witnesses the glow and warmth of a woman in love....

...Ingrid was born in Cork but her family moved to Dublin when she was one. Her father George was in the Army, in the bomb disposal unit. He was a colonel, and she describes him as "an honourable man". She has one older brother. They lived in Swords and then they moved to Finglas, where she grew up. Her grandfather founded Merville dairy in Finglas, which was later to become Premier dairies. When her grandfather died, her family lived in his house....

• 2 weeks later...

From what I recall the old Premier Dairies (Merville Dairies) site on the Finglas Road wasn't too far from the side of Glasnevin Cemetery that was near the pub formerly known as the Royal Oak? 

This pic shows the terrain well: you're climbing uphill out of the Tolka 'river valley' (if the drain can be described as such).

Merville1913.jpg.66a36850d1e681859cce406a825bda87.jpg

Given that most of the area north of Glasnevin was fields, it's likely that any reference to area of residence would be elastic enough, e.g. the Botanic Gardens and environs would not have had a Collins Ave or Griffith Ave to add definition. The location of the family in 1901 is 'Glasnevin' the details (if you click through to the scan of the actual form) show John's occupation as 'dairy proprietor' :

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Glasnevin/Church_Hill__Naul_Road/1272997/

(I suspect that the Naul Rd is the Ballymun Road? e.g. Clonmore House? Local historian needed to help you on that).