Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner R.A.

Anyone Visiting The Grenadier Guards Archives London?

Gunner R.A.

Just wondering if anyone was intending to visit the archives at the Regimental Headquarters, Grenadier Guards, Wellington Barracks,London during the next few weeks/months.

I have a 4th Bn Grenadier who was KIA in April 1918 and would like a copy (photographs) of his service record, if anyone would be kind enough to offer.

I would of course make a contribution to the petrol fund ;)

Any offer greatly appreciated,

regards,

Pete. 

tullybrone

Hi,

I'm not aware that any forum members have "unofficial" access to Grenadier Guards archives to copy service files. Forum member Coldstreamer has access to CG archives only.

The normal route is to apply in writing to RHQ GG at Wellington Barracks?

Steve Y

ss002d6252
2 hours ago, Gunner R.A. said:

Just wondering if anyone was intending to visit the archives at the Regimental Headquarters, Grenadier Guards, Wellington Barracks,London during the next few weeks/months.

I have a 4th Bn Grenadier who was KIA in April 1918 and would like a copy (photographs) of his service record, if anyone would be kind enough to offer.

I would of course make a contribution to the petrol fund ;)

Any offer greatly appreciated,

regards,

Pete. 

Out of curiosity - who's the man ?

Craig

Gunner R.A.

Hello Craig,

its me Pete, thanks for the gratuity.

The man in question is,

LINDLEY, Harold, b. Bingley, Yorks, e. Keighley, 28141, GDSM, Killed in action, France & Flanders, 13/04/1918
Grenadier Guards, 4th Battalion.

regards,

Pete.

Gunner R.A.
20 minutes ago, tullybrone said:

Hi,

I'm not aware that any forum members have "unofficial" access to Grenadier Guards archives to copy service files. Forum member Coldstreamer has access to CG archives only.

The normal route is to apply in writing to RHQ GG at Wellington Barracks?

Steve Y

Hello Steve, i just presumed that if you could search the files for the Coldstream then the same would apply for the other Guards archives, is that not the case?

regards,

Pete.

ss002d6252
2 minutes ago, Gunner R.A. said:

Hello Craig,

its me Pete, thanks for the gratuity.

The man in question is,

LINDLEY, Harold, b. Bingley, Yorks, e. Keighley, 28141, GDSM, Killed in action, France & Flanders, 13/04/1918
Grenadier Guards, 4th Battalion.

regards,

Pete.

No worries Pete - always happy to help where I can for the gratuity.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

tullybrone

Hi Pete,

Forum member Coldstreamer (Ian) only has access to CG archives.

i presume you may have seen his recent topic offering to look up CG service files documents during his forthcoming visit?

All Guards Regiments have separate archives and as far as I'm aware no forum members have similar access to any other archives.

Steve

Gunner R.A.
19 hours ago, tullybrone said:

Hi Pete,

Forum member Coldstreamer (Ian) only has access to CG archives.

i presume you may have seen his recent topic offering to look up CG service files documents during his forthcoming visit?

All Guards Regiments have separate archives and as far as I'm aware no forum members have similar access to any other archives.

Steve

Cheers Steve,

like i said i just presumed that if Ian had access to the CG's that they were all available to the public, albeit limited access, iv'e never actually looked into it, guards regiments not being my primary interest. And yes i have asked Ian if he would be kind enough to copy me a couple of records from the CG's.

Anyway, you learn something new everyday,

regards,

Pete.

Coldstreamer

They are not accessible to general public. I have access as have been going for ten years now and having police ID gives them, I believe, reassurance for security purposes.

I did get access to the grenadier archives officers papers but that was only because the archivist just happened  to be there when I went and the Coldstream archivist went with me.

Gunner R.A.

Hello Ian, i had just assumed that access was available in person under some kind of prior arrangement, i now know that is not the case. Obviously you are very lucky to have the access that you do,

regards,

Pete.

Derek Black

Pete,

It's fortunate that the Guards records survive through being kept seperate from those at Arnside. However it's unfortunate they've not since then been transferred into the National Archives for public viewing along with the remaining WW1 service records.

It seems their access from the several guards archives come under the MOD rules (according to the GG site) of £30/33 per copy, which is what you'd expect for a WW2 or later service record qeury from the Glasgow records office.

Could you imagine the furore if TNA starting following the MOD rules for each service record.

Cheers,

Derek.

Gunner R.A.

You have a point there Derek.

1 IG

In response to the thread relating to service records of the five Regiments of foot guards, the Coldstream, Grenadier, Irish and Welsh have now been transferred from Birdcage Walk to MOD Glasgow, the Scots to Edinburgh, not sure where. The MOD charges thirty pounds per inquiry, and a word of warning if my experience is anything to go by, do not allow them to fob you off with a dacted version (abridged) as they did with me, I made strong written representations regarding their incorrect translation of what they implied they could withold from me, to which in fairness to them I received an almost immediate written  apology and a telephone call, and a week later a fully unabridged copy of all the service record.

I did speak with a Grenadier Guards Captain at RHQ regarding the removal of the records and was informed that under current legislation they had to relinquish their ownership of the service records and that they should have been transferred to the NA, but it seems using the excuse of lack of storage they declined to accept them. Reading into the latter I firmly believe that the NA realised what the time and cost involved in digitising of the records would amount to and must used the lack of storage as an excuse.

Where the Scots Guards records are concerned, my source claimed that someone in Edinburgh came up with funding to take the records to a location of which he was unsure of.

I personally believe all those records belong in the public domain, and certainly feel that the charge of thirty pounds and the three month wait to receive the record is extortionate, given that what survived (the burnt records) are free at point of access in the NA, and that Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and the almost completed Canadian service records are all free via the internet.

Maybe we should contemplate a National Petition to force the MOD in Glasgow to relinquish these service records and force the NA to take them into their possession, but that is just me feeling that as researchers we are being forced to pay silly money for something that should rightfully be freely available.

Michael ex 1st Bn. Irish Guards

Loader

You are right of course. But don't hold your breath. I fear once moved there they will never be allowed to move again. A very sad situation with should be public access records after so many yrs.

Coldstreamer

such a shame, had confirmation the coldstream archives have gone too, Wonder how much will be "weeded" and lost forever

tullybrone
46 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

such a shame, had confirmation the coldstream archives have gone too, Wonder how much will be "weeded" and lost forever

Thanks for the confirmation Ian. Hopefully they won’t need to weed the service records. Wonder how long before there is a tender process (competition) between Ancestry & FMP for digitisation of the WW1 and earlier records?

Has everything gone to MOD or are there still some “bits and pieces” retained by  RHQ?

In relation to the previous post from Michale re Scots Guards records - I understand that they have been transferred to the National Library of Scotland.

Steve

Coldstreamer

they kept the files they have on the Victoria Cross holders  - nothing else :(

I will ask if the officers files went as well as they where kept in the library - not the archives - one can hope

1 IG

With regards to Steve's comment about Ancestry and FindmyPast obtaining the service records from the MOD in Glasgow, I somehow very much doubt it, had they been accepted by the NA, as in my view they should have been, then it would have been a strong possibility, but not from the MOD, I have been attempting to discover what actually went on with the records as I was reliably informed that the records first went from Bird Cage Walk to Swadlincote in Derbyshire, before onward transfer to MOD Glasgow, whether they were sent there for digitisation before going to Glasgow I am unsure, what I can tell you is that the copies of the service record of the Grenadier Guardsman that I received were photocopies of the service record pages on A3 sized paper, appearing much like you used to obtain at the NA years ago, this is what puzzles me about how they are storing them. Of course I am hoping to discover what public access will be available for the Scots Guards records, as I am surprised that they were separated from the other foot guards regiments, but then if the price is right!!

I look forward to hearing what anyone has discovered about the Scots Guards service records as I have a number of Scots Guardsmen that I would like to gain more information about, but not at £30.00 a throw!!

Michael

Coldstreamer

I've had hundred of service papers over the last decade,  at 30 a pop I'd have only got a handful.