Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2Lt Charles Henry Scowen - Tank Corps

Gareth Davies

Charles Scowen died on 25 Sep 1917 and is buried in Bournemouth, he was 24.  Can someone please tell me if he had any pre-Tank Corps service?  Any other details gratefully received.

I can't find his medal index card on Ancestry, but a transcript is on Findmypast (no additional details revealed) and it is available on the National Archives. Also on the National Archives, his service record here.

He was a cadet, appointed a temporary 2/Lt with effect from 31 Jan 1917 in the supplement dated 12 Feb 1917, ref https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29937/supplement/1451/data.pdf

Ancestry has a few personal member trees which appear to include him.

David 

Thank you David.  I guess he didn't serve overseas.

Sorry Gareth, I might have misled you. There is a MIC,but can't find it on Ancestry. He must have served overseas.

David

5 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

Thank you David.  I guess he didn't serve overseas.

He has a war gratuity entry as a ranker - £14 net - in the effects register. If we know what rank he was before being commissioned then it should usually be possible to tell if he served overseas or not before that date - it doesn't look like he did though as I can't see a MIC or Medal Roll entry.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252
update

He has a MIC in the " Women's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals " index according to the FMP records

Craig

Using the war gratuity as a guide then (assuming he hadn't been a pre-war regular)

We know when he was commissioned in Jan 17 he could have had a maximum of 30 months service.

He has £14 net war gratuity in the effects register - if we assume home service only then;

As a Private this gives £17 gross - this would be 60 months so that can be ruled out.
As a Corporal this gives £17 gross - this would be 56 months so that can be ruled out.
As a Sergeant this gives £17 gross - this would be 48 months so that can be ruled out.
As a Colour/Staff Sergeant this gives £17 gross - this would be 40 months so that can be ruled out.
As a WO2 this gives £17 gross - this would be 32 months so that can be ruled out.

As a WO1 this gives £17 gross - this would be 20 months.

The gratuity, allowing the exception of him being a pre-war regular, would suggest he was a WO1 when commissioned.

If he was a pre-war regular then it gives us two possibilities rather than one.

He has £14 war gratuity in the effects register - if we assume home service only then;

As a Private this gives £14 gross - this would be 48 months so that can be ruled out.
As a Corporal this gives £14 gross - this would be 44 months so that can be ruled out.
As a Sergeant this gives £14 gross - this would be 36 months so that can be ruled out.

As a Colour/Staff Sergeant this gives £14 gross - this would be 28 months
As a WO2 this gives £14 gross - this would be 20 months
As a WO1 this gives £14 gross - gratuity lower than minimum for this rank

I would suggest that neither of these two possibilities above fit as, being a pre-war regular, the war gratuity would have counted from August 1914 - which neither possibility actually does.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thanks Craig.

Born 1893, he was commissioned on the same day as Frank Heap (Deborah)

His pfile is at Kew 

WO 339/73858

Probably born last qtr 1893 in Marylebone London - father was a cabbie

In 1911 working as a junior clerk at Marylebone Borough Council

Yes, saw Heap's name in the list.

It seems that there could be a sad story underlying this. The Effects Register states the cause of death in England was suicide. SDGW just says "died".

Also, the effects register shows date of death as 26 September, whilst CWGC has this as 25 September??

David

Interesting David, thank you.

18 minutes ago, dgibson150 said:

It seems that there could be a sad story underlying this. The Effects Register states the cause of death in England was suicide. SDGW just says "died".

Also, the effects register shows date of death as 26 September, whilst CWGC has this as 25 September??

David

Not uncommon to see a days difference, usually down to dates on submitted reports.

Craig