Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Louverval/Doignes any photo recon photos available?

Hi,

My partners Great Grandfather was killed in the taking of Louverval/Doignies by the 56th Battalion AIF on 2 April 1917. I am taking her on a surprise tour of that area on our european trip later this year and am currently doing research in readiness.
I have found many maps of the area but was wondering if anyone had any aerial reconnaissance photos I could use. Just want to get an idea of the area before the battle so I can  explain it better to her.

Cheers
Damian

• 3 months later...
On 07/04/2017 at 12:02, damo74 said:

Hi,

My partners Great Grandfather was killed in the taking of Louverval/Doignies by the 56th Battalion AIF on 2 April 1917. I am taking her on a surprise tour of that area on our european trip later this year and am currently doing research in readiness.
I have found many maps of the area but was wondering if anyone had any aerial reconnaissance photos I could use. Just want to get an idea of the area before the battle so I can  explain it better to her.

Cheers
Damian

Hi Damian, my name is Mark and my wife and I have just returned from Doignes (and the Somme and Flanders) in order to commemorate my Grandfather, who was with the 55th and was shot near Diognies on 1 April 1917. We were there 100 years to the day on the fields where we believe he was shot. Don't have any maps but my research suggests that the Australians in the 5 Division came in from south of Bapaume through Longueval and Ligny-Thilloy virtually along the old Roman road that led to Cambrai. This occurred in late March and was in readiness for the two Battles of Bullecourt with the first starting on 11April.  If you get to Doignes there is a small cemetery on the left hand side of the road after turning off the main road and before you enter the village. This cemetery had a tower/steeple in 1917 and was used by German snipers to shoot members of the 5th as they drove in across the paddocks from the SW. This is how my Grandfather was shot. 

I would have thought that the two Diggers would have know each. A very moving place. We also greatly enjoyed visiting Pozieres (The Windmill), Le Hamel, Mont St Quentin ( where my great Uncle was killed), Perron and Villers-Bretonneux. I really hope you enjoy it as much as we did. 

Mark