Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles hutchings

Hi wondering if any body

knows if I could get a copy of the letter co firming my great uncles death in Burma 1916 from TB he was in the light Somerset infantry 5th battalion and if he was awarded any medals? My nan sister to Charlie who has passed never said much but I am so interested and ha e found he buried in India I'm a cemtary for soldiers of the war please can any p e advice me and maybe a photo?? 

Sarah 

Charles was awarded the British war medal and Victory Medal

A photo of Charles in uniform can be found on a family tree on Ancestry (HERE IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBER)

if not you may be able to access ancestry at your local library 

Ray

Ray

Looks to me that Charles got the British but not the Victory. Indicating he never served in an operational area. The MIC also indicate he earned the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal but that needs confirming against a Roll.

His death, caused by T.B., was confirmed in a report in the Western Chronicle of 4 August 1916

Hutchings, Charles, Western Chronicle 4.8.1916.JPG

The effects records confirm he died in Rangoon.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

9 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

Ray

Looks to me that Charles got the British but not the Victory. Indicating he never served in an operational area. The MIC also indicate he earned the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal but that needs confirming against a Roll.

I stand corrected  

Ray