Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Halifax, West Yorkshire War Memorial

jainvince

In researching the soldiers who fell during the Arras Battles there is a local lad though born in Littleborough later moved to Halifax. I am wondering if he is remembered on any local war memorial in Halifax or if any pal has researched soldiers on those memorials. Summary details are below:

Private James Henry Bairstow – No Picture

James was born in Smithy Bridge in 1898 but by 1911  was at living with his family at 6 Bank St, Halifax .When he enlisted in May 1915, he was a mill hand and lived at with his mother Ellen (now shown as Helliwell), brother Fed and sister’s Ethel and Florrie at 3 Chapeltown, Pellon Lane, Halifax. Private 201617 James H Bairstow 2nd/4th Bn Duke of Wellington’s (West Riding Regiment) killed in action 15th April 1917 when his battalion was in position on a railway embankment NW of Ecoust St Mary and it was heavily shelled. James’s body was subsequently interred in Grave Number III K 3 H A C Cemetery, Ecoust-St Mein, France

Bernard

www.littleboroughshistory.org

Hello Bernard

The regimental museum of the D of W's is (or used to be) at Bankfield Museum, Boothtown, Halifax. I don't know if they have much in the way of records but it might be worth a letter, phone call or e-mail.

Good luck!

Ron

Definitely try the Halifax Great War Heritage Society. They have a forum in which to ask questions and have access to a digital copy of the Halifax Evening Courier . They have given me a lot of help in the past. One of their members, Dave Millichope, has written a book about the town's contribution in WW1 

Hi Bernard

I wonder if there has been a mix up in the records? His mother originally married Joseph Dawtrey 10th Aug 1889.( B. 1868- D 1894) and then DID  she marry Wright Bairstow 1867-1948. Can't find the record.but can find his prison records! 1901 census shows step-children Alice and Ernest Dawtrey

Perhaps James Henry isn't recorded locally because of a mix up with the name changes. His mother's original married name of Dawtrey (nee Ambler) as per Soldiers' effects and the fact that his medals were sent to Mrs Ellen Dawtrey at 3 Chapeltown, Halifax. 26th Feb,1918.

Ellen Bairstow died 1942, aged 73 yrs at Halifax, 9a,773.

Ellen Helliwell, declaration on 5th April 1922 on Service Records,...... she married Leonard Helliwell, 1st qtr 1918 at Halifax, 9a, 811. Christian name recorded on Ancestry as ELLEA. Her first married name of Dawtrey is recorded as Spouse's surname. SO it would appear that she never married Wright Bairstow, although some of the siblings took the name Bairstow..

CWGC doesn't record any details of James Henry Bairstow's parents...no wonder.

Took a while to sort this one..............

This is Pte. James Henry Bairstow......., Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion.http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~calderdalecompanion/mmb33.html#8

Halifax Town Hall Book of Remebrance and on the memorial at St.Mary's Church, Halifax

!rb736.jpg

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

• 1 year later...

A little belated but James H Bairstow is remembered in the Halifax Civic Books of Remembrance and his name was on the memorial in St Mary's Church, Rhodes Street which has unfortunately been lost.

Rob Hamilton

Halifax Great War Heritage Society

Pte James Henry Bairstow was mentioned on 2 War Memorials in Halifax area they are :-

I. St. Mary’s Rhodes St; WW1. Oak board and screens, carved by H. Percy Jackson of Coley.   Church deconsecrated and vandalised, memorial lost. List of 34 fallen given in press.

2. Halifax Civic Books of Remembrance; WW1 & 2. Illuminated books in display cases in Victoria Hall of Halifax Town Hall adjacent to regimental memorials. Hope This Helps    Kindest Regards DaveC

Photo Halifax Weekly Guardian 28/04/1917

Bairstow James Henry Pte No. 201617 2nd 4th Bn.png

Edited by DaveC

• 11 months later...

Dave C

Many thanks for the additional details and photo. I have added it to my records.

Its been rather too long since I checked up on items I started but other things have been affecting my avaiable time. However, I have beeb researching and now writing up WW2 soldiers from Littleborough, Wardle and Milnrow in conjunction with a colleague (also a member of this fiorum) and whilst not as many men and a lady soldier, it does take time. We are publishing their details when they reach their 75th or 80th Anniversary starting this year.

Bernard