Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Authentic color French M15 Adrian helmet

Alright. Well I'm new to this forum in fact I have never posted anything in a forum. Besides that. I have recently purchased an m15 Adrian helmet from a man in england in a month I'll be returning home to actually be able to see the helmet I got. My question is this what is the exact specific color of a time period accurate Adrian helemet I wanna restore the helmet to its former state with the most authencity possible. Also does anyone know where I could actually get the Adrian painted 

From light blue to dark blue. Some have a Grey hue others so darkly overpainted to be almost black. Then a khaki / mustard colour for some. 

I would either leave as it is or extensively google. None of mine match.

TT

They started off blue but were often overpainted.  Here is the one I have showing the original paint from behind the badge

Adrian paint.jpg

Edited by Jerry B

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 07:43, JonGutes98 said:

Also does anyone know where I could actually get the Adrian painted 

A French company called 'Sympacolor' supplies paint in a shade called 'Bleu Horizon 1915 Mat' which is pretty accurate to a late-mid war period colour (1916/17 onwards). I've used this colour several times in my own renovations and have been very happy with the results. If desired, they also supply a colour called 'Moutarde 1915' for colonial issue helmets, but I've never used this one (yet).

Dave

(The only problem is that it seems to photograph weird! ... the two images below show the paint with and without flash. Neither depict the actual colour, with the true colour being somewhere in between!)

2.jpg

1.jpg

• 4 years later...

I have come across many images of surviving helmets in a shade of blue that is darker than horizon blue. Last month I have been told there was perceived to be a glare from the helmets, and as a consequence there was an order in 1916 that helmets were to be repainted a darker shade, midnight blue, to deaden the glare.