Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zonnebeke church dugout

BIFFO

I believe this dugout will be open to the public from may 1st,I have never heard of it but apparently the museum will open for the anniversary of passchendaele

If it's the one I'm thinking about, there's a model of this in the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 at Zonnebeke.

This is what The Great War 1914-1918 web site says about it: http://www.greatwar.co.uk/ypres-salient/museum-passchendaele-1917.htm

"Zonnebeke and its five villages have the biggest concentration of underground constructions. In 1983 a dugout was discovered at the rear of the Terca brickworks. The dugout, called Bremen Redoubt, was open to the public until 1998. During the archaeological excavations of the Augustinian abbey a second dugout was discovered under Zonnebeke church. The outline of the dugout is marked in an archaeological garden. The most important discovery took place on 21 February when a farmer’s wife disappeared into the ground while she was washing the windows. Beecham Dugout was discovered no more than 400 metres from Tyne Cot Cemetery (Passendale). All dugouts are located within a radius of about a mile from the museum, Zonnebeke Church dugout being in the grounds of the Zonnebeke chateau itself.

Because these dugouts are generally not accessible for the public, a life-like reconstruction has been built in the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917."

I've looked at the model a couple of times and wondered what it would be like to go into the tunnels ... maybe I'll be able to do so if I get there again.

Hello,

They do want to open the original dug-out near/under the church of Zonnebeke for a limited amount of time (July-November) from what I have heard. From what I hear, there is still discussions going on about safety etc.

Jan

• 3 months later...

The Belgian  newspaper " De Standaard " today brings a one-page article (and a nice photo) about the opening of this dug-out !!!

Gilbert

• 3 weeks later...

Opened on 31 July but only open for 100 days....went there yesterday it looks like they are wetting the timbers when it is closed presumably to prevent the wood drying out and decaying

Edited by bruilooze
Spellchecker

Hoping to get to Zonnebeke in the next couple of weeks, I do hope I can see this.

This will make a very welcome additional visit to one of my favourite haunts in Ieper, with that great museum just around the corner.

Staying this year in B&B Akkerwinde, hope we can rent decent bike's and go mad in that region.

Can't wait!!

IMG_2387.JPG

Feel very privileged to have been down into the dugout today. My first visit to Zonnebeke (fascinating museum) and so pleased to have coincided with opening of the dugout - I only knew in advance because of these posts. Our guide said it will definitely close in November, if they can keep it safe that long.

I will post a couple of photos when I am home. 

1 hour ago, Sapper D. said:

Does one need to book in advance?

No. When we went to get tickets for the museum they offered timed  tours of the dugout. We were lucky enough to go straight to the dugout tour then go round the museum so didn't have to watch the time. The dugout tour does not take long but is very well worth it. Wear substantial footwear, it is wet! 

Also, there are free booklets at the museum entrance '1917, Total War in Flanders. Visitors Guide'  Lots of interesting info. 

I hope this doesn't spoil anyone's visit and I hope it is ok to post these photos. Just 2 to give an idea of what it is like (I did take more). Photos taken using lighting set up down there, I rarely use flash.

Z dugout 1 small copy.jpg

Z dugout 2 small copy.jpg

53 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

I know that it's only open for 100 days this year, but is there any indication that it will be open next year, please?

It is not supposed to be opened again in the near future after this year.

2 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

It is not supposed to be opened again in the near future after this year.

Ah, that's a shame, but thanks.

Our guide seemed to suggest that it will be sealed off for safety. They have sensors on the walls and he said that if too much movement is detected they will close it straight away, they cannot guarantee that it will stay open until November. But they will not keep it open after November anyway.

Strong sense of nostalgia having visited the Zonnebeke brickworks dugout in my youth, just hoping nothing moves before I visit at the end of October.

13 hours ago, johntanner said:

Strong sense of nostalgia having visited the Zonnebeke brickworks dugout in my youth, just hoping nothing moves before I visit at the end of October.

Our guide may have been a bit over dramatic but I guess it is all closely monitored by H&S. I hope you do get to visit. Certainly something I will always remember. My grandfather was RE and the Field Co diary shows them working on dugouts but not here. 

There have been serious stability problems when building the new church (partly because of the dug out). It is not evident to keep the dug out open for that long, not just for stability but also because of the state of the wood of the construction.

Jan

Absolutely breathtaking and very awe inspiring.

Yes - do go there & do wear sturdy footwear & a decent jacket & do hurry up because this will probably be the last chance to visit this site.

The guide told us that the chance of this dug-out reopening in the next 100 years was quite slim.

Get your tickets (€6,00) in the museum and enjoy!

DSC04167.JPG.781e1b7a38a7139decd6d88a1f216f74.JPG

DSC04179.JPG.58603dd2e3e536790d4f2cbbd8f2bb14.JPG

DSC04184.JPG.5788f56390252f47fca95d89e9b5d620.JPG

I forgot to ask if it is known who (which unit? RE?) constructed this dugout. Is it known?