Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

N.Y.D. in War Diary note of casualties

jonbem

I am tracing movement of my GG Uncle and wondering what "N.Y.D." in the casualty details means. Not yet dead? Not yet decided?

PTE STANLEY MAURICE DOWNS 7th CAMERON HIGHLANDERS KILLED IN ACTION FRANCE AGED 22 YEARS 27TH MARCH 1918

Service No: S/23928

He must have been one of the seven men noted as K.I.A. in the diary.

trench map 51B.SW 25 Apr 1918 - N9 through N12

Nova Scotia and MacKenzie trenches

7th Cameron Highlanders War Diary for 26th March onward.

if you have access.....

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_1941_1-00000?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fsearch%2fdb.aspx%3fdbid%3d60779%26path%3d&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing#?imageId=43112_1941_1-00370

During night of 26/27th patrols were out constantly.......

On the right the enemy were found to be occupying strongly the sunken road in N.11.c

Casualties 2 O.R killed, 5 O.R. wounded 1, O.R - N.Y.D.

27/3/18. During the day the enemy shelled our front and support lines along our whole front with 59's. Particular attention was paid to the Cambrai Road.

On the night of the 27/28 an inter Coy relief took place. D company relieved A Coy on left front,  B company relieved C Coy on right front. Casualties 5 O.R. killed, 2 O.R. wounded, 1 O.R - N.Y.D.

regards

Jon

It usually means 'Not Yet Diagnosed' but that wouldn't fit in this context,

I'd plump for 'Not yet discharged', as in they were wounded and still undergoing treatment at the time the NYD entry was added .

Craig

craig

thanks

that seems logical

Jon

As Soldiers' Effects, SDGW and CWGC have him as KIA 27th March 1918 I don't see why he can't have been one of the 2 ORs killed 26/27 March or one of the 5 ORs KIA on the 27th March. The N.Y.D. may have simply been sick casualties 'Not yet Diagnosed'.

The diary page is actually part of a 5 page end of the month narrative 'report on operations' and not the entry for 26th/27th March. If you go back to page 362/429 you see totals for the month showing 2 NYDs.

The 'proper' diary pages show KIAs and DOWs while the report adds NYDs so I think they are just that, 'Not yet Diagnosed' added to the report.

TEW

TEW

thanks, very informative to add to my knowledge

rgds

Jon

NYD (N) was sometimes used to identify cases of shell shock, the (N) standing for "nervous".

Ron

• 1 year later...

I have this weekend found a press cutting in my mothers collection of family documents,  detailing my GG Uncle Stanley Maurice Downs 3616-4th Cameron Highlanders & S/23928 7th Cameron Highlanders. (With his pal Driver HG Martin))

I now want to see if I can find details of his convalescence at Compton House, Dorset, as noted in the cutting. Unfortunately the cutting is undated for a year of reference.

Can anyone advise the location of where best to search for convalescence records? (note: I don't currently have any subscriptions to Ancestry or FMP)

I have found the house, quite a posh one (www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4965398/Former-silk-farm-converted-sprawling-country-manor.html), a far cry from his home in Hull no doubt. I don't have an image of that as the area has been redeveloped.

regards

Jon

stanley M Downs in Uniform press cutting trimmed.jpg

stanley M Downs in Uniform trimmed.jpg

stanley M Downs in Uniform.jpg

Edited by jonbem