Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th SQUADRON, MGC CAVALRY

Could any cavalry buff assist and allay my ignorance?  I have a casualty for my local area, KIA at Cambrai,1st December 1917, one Oliver Trevelyan Dawson. CWGC shows that 14 men of this unit were all killed the same day-and all are listed on the Cambrai Memorial-none has a known grave-which usually indicates heavy fighting and retreat. Is there any good general history out there which might explain the mechanics of MGC cavalry and it's changes through the war???  My casualty started out as 3rd RCR.

I am guessing that this unit must have fought dismounted-but how?   Support fire from rear? Up front and attached to other infantry units???  I just do not know. No individual war diary apparent-also, none of the casualties was an officer- often,better obituaries for officers give an entree as to what happened- alas, the highest ranking casualty was a shoeing serjeant.

I suspect Anglesey may answer -if and when I dig out the right volume from store -but is there anything specific to 11th MGC Cavalry-or MGC Cavalry at Cambai-out there???

There is a War Diary:

WO 95/1160 11 Cavalry Machine Gun Squadron 1917 Jan. - 1918 Mar.  
This box contains several diaries so if you are downloading from TNA or Ancestry, make sure you get the right section!

The MGC (Cavalry) supported cavalry brigades in much the same way as the RHA did - fairly mobile and available to provide covering fire as required. A squadron had six sections, each with two Vickers machine guns.

Ron

Morning,Ron- Missed the War Diary completely!  Found the successor ones after the reorganisations of early 1918-  I see my mistake- searched on 11 Machine Gun Corps Cavalry- the word "Corps" may have put the correct result a long way down. God bless technology.

And thank you again. 

Glad to help, as always.

Searching the index to WO95 is fraught with pitfalls, the greatest of which is that the syntax has to be right. Many brigade and divisional units do not include a unit number, and ordinal numbers are not recognised. I am lucky in that, when I was winding down my day-job in 2000 I was able to download the whole of the index and learn some of these problems!

Ron