Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Civil Service Rifles

phil andrade

A close friend of mine has given me a mission, and I seek your help in accomplishing it.

His Geat Uncle, Private George Marchant, was in the 1st/15th London ( Civil Sevice Rifles ) in the Great War, and was killed in 1915, and buried at Bethune.

My pal has  many of his records, and is conversant with those on the web, including the battalion war diary. He knows the main memorial in Somerset House, and has the regimental history and other secondary publications.

Questions : are there any organisations or individuals currently with an active interest in this unit ?  And is there any collection of artifacts of the CSR anywhere else, or any other memorials ?

Is my friend correct in thinking that a wreath is placed on the memorial every November, presumably by the Civil Service ?

Grateful for any assistance forthcoming ,

Phil

Phil

Pte 2008 George Samuel Marchant 1st/15th London Regiment is commemorated on the war memorial at St John the Baptist Eltham as Pte G.S. Marchant. This fits with the CWGC information that he was the son of John and Alice Marchant, of 11, Elibank Rd., Well Hall, Eltham, London. Here is the link to the Diocese remembrance. http://southwark.anglican.org/downloads/resources/WWI-Feb16.docx. The CWGC grave regsitration report seems to contain a typo in that his initials are given as P.T. ,though the regiment is right, and the entry is for G S Marchant.

regards

Richard

The man you probably want is forum member "Siege Gunner". Mick was a good friend of the late Jill Knight, author of the battalion history published by Pen & Sword.

Thanks for the recommendation, John.  I shall be seeing Phil at the London Pals get-together this evening, so we'll explore what I can do for his friend over a beer later.

Edited by SiegeGunner