Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WHO IS "GLEN",PHOTO OF KINGS SOLDIER.

The Inspector

Hi All

I recently picked up a post card photo of a Kings Liverpool soldier, clearly identified by his cap and shoulder badges. In the top right hand corner of the photo is a small photo superimposed of a female. I'm given to understand that this is probably his wife and these photos were standard.

On the reverse of the photo on the correspondence side on the left are the following handwritten words in blue ink

"To James & (Ida)

With Best Wishes

Yours Sincerely

Glen."

On the right hand side "Address Only" are written the following words in the same handwriting and ink

"32577 Pte.J.Horrocks

21/3/18

Heliopolis"

This post card has not been sent through the mail, no stamp, not franked.

Having searched for 32577 J Horrocks the only MIC that comes up with that number, rank and and initial Is Pte James Horrocks 32577, Lancashire Fusiliers. The medal award roll shows he was with the 15th.

Whilst gazing at the photo and wondering just who this chap was I realised that the blue ink writing on the front of the photo didn't line up with the writing on the back, having presumed it had leached through over time.

Out came the magnifying glass...the writing was back to front and in the same ink and hand. The reverse image in a mirror reads:-

On the left,

"To My cousin Kate

With Best Wishes

Glen xxx" 

and on the right

"To Miss K Browning,

21/3/18".

Obviously two photos had been next to each other for some time and eventually this one thrown into a box in the antique shop where I found it. 

I reckon with the expertise on this forum it should be possible to identify "Glen" by tracing his cousin Kate Browning and James Shorrocks and Ida ??.

Can anyone help with James Horrocks and any further details. Thanks in anticipation 
Regards Barry.

I "found" a Glen Day in the MICs serving with the LNLancs/Kings Liverpool/ REs  could be him possibly. Ralph.

Glen Howard Day born Oldham mar qtr 1894, marriage of Glen H Day to a Mary Horrocks in 1919, could be some connection there.

Den

10 hours ago, Skipman said:

As a starter (if it helps at all) 32577 J Horrocks' name appears in a list of wounded 8th May 1917

Mike

32577 J Horrocks awarded SWB on Ancestry HERE

enlisted 4/10/16 discharged 4/10/18

Hi All

Thanks for the replies

I have just checked the record of the marriage  on 21st Oct, 1919 at Hollins Methodist Church, Millgate, Oldham between Mary Horrocks and as Ancestry has transcribed ELEN Howard Day. The actual record is obviously Glen Howard Day. Mary's father is James Horrocks and Glen's father is James Day

The signature on the marriage cert. No.7 for "Glen" is an EXACT match to the postcard. !!!!!!

SO...the photo is,almost certainly, Glen Howard Day  Pte 38175  Loyal North Lancs, 72958  Kings Liverpool Regt, 368155 Royal Engineers. 

On the cert. Glen is shown as a Grocer's Manager, aged 25 yrs of 52 Hudson St., Oldham, father James deceased and his wife Mary aged 25yrs a Dairyman. of Hollins Farm, Hollins Road, Oldham. Father James a farmer.

Will post the photo when I figure out my new phone.

Once again, thanks a million,  off to bed and searching again tomorrow

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

22 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

That's an interesting puzzle Barry.

What do the census returns for Lancashire show for 1911 I wonder?

Hi

1911 Glen Day, b.1894, Hollinwood (Oldham) Lancs, at 52 Hudson Street, Hollinwood. Grocer's Assistant.....that's him.

Regards Barry

Surname First name(s)  District Vol Page

Births Mar 1894  

Day Glen Howard     Oldham   8d 677  

An unusual christian name, only about 60 male 'Glen's (as compared to 'Glenn') born in England and Wales from 1837 to 1900.

My favourite is Glen DOWER, (Clerkenwell, 1863)!

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Hi

Glen Howard Day b 29.12.1893, Oldham, died June 1970 Oldham. Looking for Mary Horrocks I think she may have come from Bolton, 1901 census shows a Mary with father James has a grocery and is an agent...perhaps that's where the connection is and they moved to Oldham to the farm? This Mary also had a brother James b.1880. Not found cousin Kate Browning or Ida? ...yet.

Regards Barry

Hello Barry

Possible marriage of Glen H Day's father James Day, in Oldham 1888, did you check any further back on that Methodist record to see if the father James got married there, good to know who Glen's mother was, re cousins.

Den

James Day m Eliza Grant in 1888 in Oldham. 1911 Census has Glen the son of ANNIE a widow, sisters Olive,Murial and Blanche , there is a birth register for Glen on LancsBMD giving the maiden name of his mother as Grant, also there is a birth record for KATHLEEN  Blanche Day. Looks to me as if Glen is NOT Annies son and the Kate MIGHT be Kathleen Blanche . Any takers ? Ralph.

James Day b 1849 husband of Eliza 1891 census = children Eunice OLIVE GRANT b 1890 amd Muriel Thorton  GRANT b 1891 lived 30 Lois St Chadderton Oldham.Getting closer I think. Ralph.

Theory up the wall, Kathleen Blanche Day b 1892 mothers name GRANT.  Therefore who is Annie Day born Crediton Devon 1858 on the 1911 census ? odd

8 hours ago, TTracer44 said:

Hello Barry

Possible marriage of Glen H Day's father James Day, in Oldham 1888, did you check any further back on that Methodist record to see if the father James got married there, good to know who Glen's mother was, re cousins.

Den

Hi Den

James Day came from Priestfield in Staffordshire b.1849 and Annie/Eliza from Crediton, Devon,The 1888 marriage in Oldham shows only one female , a Sarah Sexton, and two males James Day and a Thomas Martin.....nothing to do with our search, in my opinion.

Regards Barry

Hi All..again

Mary Horrocks shown as HARROCKS on the 1911 census at 2 Sarah St, Hollins Rd, Oldham aged 16 yrs, born 1895 a dairy maid. Father James, a farmer born 1860, Oldham, mother Maria born 1862 Oldham, son Fred 1889 Oldham, working on farm, farmer's son, son James born 1898 Oldham , a wheelwright's apprentice and daughter Elizabeth born 1900.  Married 28 yrs, 5 children, one died.........I reckon this is the correct female side of the marriage....looking

Regards Barry 

IT IS ! The next page on the census shows the address as Hollins Farm,Swallow St, Hollinwood,Nr. Oldham. Hollins Farm is the address on the marriage cert for Mary. Sarah St and Swallow St are on the same enumeration district.

Edited by The Inspector

Hello Barry

back to James Day / Eliza Grant marriage 1888 Oldham this found on Lancsbmd also the children Muriel Thorton, Kathleen Blanche and Glen Howard all with the mothers maiden surname of Grant, fairly conclusive I think, the first born child Eunice Olive, looks to have been born in Prestwich 1889, great puzzle keep us updated

Me again

James Horrocks of Hollins Farm, Hollinwood died 13th August 1948 @ 449 Rochdale Rd., Oldham. Probate 1 st Dec. to Glen Howard Day, salesman, Elizabeth Horrocks, spinster and James Horrocks, coal dealer. Effects £1196.0s 9d...

Regards Barry

James Horrocks married Maria Ogden, 1883 1st qtr, Oldham, she died Sept 1927, Oldham, aged 65yrs.

James Horrocks, the son born 1898 married Amy Rawstron, b.1895, had a daughter Amy, 1927-1976 and son James Alan 1929-2009..James died 1972, Oldham. I think he is Pte. 32577Lancs Fusiliers to whom the card was addressed. BUT still can't find "Ida" or Glen's cousin Kate Browning.

Regards Barry

There is a tree on Ancestry that goes back to 1590! It's obvious that the Farm had been in the Horrocks family for sometime, known as Sarah Street Farm, see 1881 and 1891 2 Sarah St (Horrocks Farm) censuses, James Horrocks born 1830. great grandfather to Pte.32755.....now for the Day side of the family....

Edited by The Inspector

Hi

There's a Kate Browning a dairy keeper in 1911 in Crediton, Devon, born 1882, single.? Same place as  Annie/Eliza came from.?? There is a visitor from Canada, originally shown as Nephew but crossed through. On his marriage in Canada in 1914 his mother's maiden name is Bessie Grant. Kate's mother is Ann Browning from Inwardleigh, Crediton, Devon.b.1847?.....There are step children name of Hosegood..the plot thickens..

Regards Barry

Bessie Browning (nee Grant) emigrated to Canada in 1905 with Edgar aged 16 and his sisters Florence and Jessie....

Edited by The Inspector

Kate Browning's birth was registered in the 4th Quarter of 1881 at Crediton; the 1911 Census confirms Crediton as her birthplace.

Her parents, Richard & Ann Browning, were both born in Devon and married in 1876 (BMD 2 Q, at Crediton).  The 1911 Census

listed Kate as single, residing in Crediton, and "Occupation (DOMESTIC)".  BMD lists a Kate Browning, died in 1950, age 68

registered 1 Q 1950 at Manchester; surname suggests she never married.

Josquin

Edited by josquin

Hi Josquin and all,

She died, a spinster, 29th Jan 1950, probate to a solicitor, address given 120 Moston Lane East, New Moston, Manchester. 

Moston Lane East is 1,9 miles from Hollins Road, Oldham where the Horrocks' farm was.  Getting closer.

Regards Barry

Hi Josquin

Have you got the right female for Richard Browning's marriage? The date is correct but the 1891 census shows him with his wife Ellen. the 1876 Marriage record is on same page as Ann Warren but he married Ellen Grant!

The 1891 census also shows step daughter Ella May Hosgood aged 13yrs. Richard Browning married Ann Hosgood 1st qtr 1888, Crediton, Devon. Ann Hosgood's mother, Mary Ann Percy, is also on the 1891 census, as are Kate and her brothers Ernest and Fred (b.12/6/1883, Crediton) Incidentally Fred emigrated to Canada/USA in 1909 and became a US citizen on 11.7.1916. I think we have the right Kate but the family is still a muddle.

Regards Barry