Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/1 City of Edinburgh Field Company, Royal Engineers - link to Ancestry please

alf mcm

I am wanting to look at the war diary for 1/1 City of Edinburgh Field Company, Royal Engineers on Ancestry, if it exists. I can't find it. Can someone please provide me with a link to this diary. I am interested in the period from 19thDecember 1915 until 24th September 1916.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

16 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

I am wanting to look at the war diary for 1/1 City of Edinburgh Field Company, Royal Engineers on Ancestry, if it exists. I can't find it. Can someone please provide me with a link to this diary. I am interested in the period from 19thDecember 1915 until 24th September 1916.

Regards,

Alf McM

They're on the N/A site under the replacement name of 416th FIeld Company.

Here they are on Ancestry - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_2942_1-00000?pid=616755&backurl=http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc%3DCFr1711%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26indiv%3D1%26db%3DUKWarDiariesWWI%26gss%3Dangs-d%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26gskw%3D2942%26MSAV%3D1%26uidh%3Dyvc%26pcat%3D39%26fh%3D0%26h%3D616755%26recoff%3D%26ml_rpos%3D1&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=CFr1711&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true

EDIT:
Diary is from 1 May 1916 onwards.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Alf

You need the first part of the diary as well  WO95/4420, for its stay on the Suez defences. Unfortunately it has not been digitised by TNA yet and therefore will not be on Ancestry.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thanks Craig and Terry for your prompt replies. The change of name confirms why I couldn't find it on Ancestry. I'll just have to wait until the earlier diary is digitized.

Regards,

Alf McM

1 minute ago, alf mcm said:

Thanks Craig and Terry for your prompt replies. The change of name confirms why I couldn't find it on Ancestry. I'll just have to wait until the earlier diary is digitized.

Regards,

Alf McM

Will there be a diary for periods spent in Egypt ?

Craig

6 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Will there be a diary for periods spent in Egypt ?

Craig

Yes - as noted earlier it is WO 95/4420 - it covers Dec '15 to Apr '16.

I photographed a Palestine diary the other day and the box included a note stating that it had been prepared for digitisation (ie be careful not to mess up the order) - so it could be available online before too long.

2 minutes ago, Phil Wood said:

I photographed a Palestine diary the other day and the box included a note stating that it had been prepared for digitisation (ie be careful not to mess up the order) - so it could be available online before too long.

Thanks, I hadn't read Terry's edited post.

Sounds like they're making good progress to getting all the diaries online - I wonder if any of the 'lost diaries' will turn up along the way.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

53 minutes ago, Phil Wood said:

Thanks Phil,

That is good news, perhaps I won't have to wait too long.

Regards,

Alf McM