Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information on a Nurse in 1915-1920

katydid

I am looking for any information on Annie S Guest.  She was  Sister in the War and i have her war record. But i am looking for anything else that might be around.. Any help would be most appreciated.

\Regards Liz

Edited by katydid

Thanks Alf I have these... I was looking for other information on her if there is any. THanks for the help however, much appreciated.

Hi Liz - and welcome to the forum...

Below is my file on Annie

Cheers, Frev

GUEST, Annie Susan – Sister, AANS

Born in 1876 at Geelong, Vic – daughter of William GUEST and Mary SKEHAN

Mary died 1911 Prahran, age 72

Siblings: Eliza b.1860 – d.1876; Thomas Joseph b.1862; Frederick Charles b.1864 (Baker, Colac 1915); Ellen Harriet b.1866 – marr DEANS – d.1951 Colac; Arthur John b.1873 (Orchardist, Ringwood 1915) – d.26/7/1952; Edith Eliza b.1879;

Religion: Church of England

*Trained in nursing at the Austin Hospital, Heidelberg, Vic for 3 years

*Member of the Royal Victorian Trained Nurses Association

*Nurse at the Sunbury Asylum 1909

*Living Heidelberg 1910 (nurse)

*Nurse at the Women’s Hospital, Carlton 1912 – Austin Hospital, Heidelberg 1913 – Colac District Hospital 2 years (1914, 1915)

WW1: https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=4391855

Enlisted 5/11/1915 as a Staff Nurse with the Australian Army Nursing Service

Embarked 12/11/1915 on the A67 Orsova with reinforcements for the 1st Australian General Hospital (AGH), Egypt – and reported for duty 9/12/1915 with the 1st AGH – served at the 3rd Auxiliary Hospital, Heliopolis – then to the 3rd AGH 24/6/1916

Posted to the Indian Nursing Service 12/7/1916 and embarked on Hospital Ship Neuralia at Suez – disembarked Bombay 23/7/1916 and posted to the Station Hospital, Jullundur for duty

Embarked at Bombay 15/1/1917 on the SS Mooltan for the UK, and attached to the 2nd Australian Auxiliary Hospital (AAH), Southall 4/2/1917 – transferred to the 1st AAH, Harefield 3/7/1917 – returned to 2nd AAH 20/7/1917

Granted furlough 13/10/1917 to 24/10/1917

Detached from the 2nd AAH 3/11/1917 and proceeded overseas to France for duty with the 2nd AGH, Wimereux

UK Leave 9/6/1918 to 23/6/1918

Promoted to Sister 1/10/1918

UK Leave 2/1/1919 to 17/1/1919, and again 12/3/1919 to 17/3/1919

Returned to UK and attached to the 2nd AAH 3/4/1919

Returned to Australia on the Aeneas 31/5/1919 – 12/7/1919

Discharged 19/9/1919

Served at No. 11 AGH, Caulfield 1924, 1931

Resident 56 Park St, Sth Yarra (HD) 1937 – 31 Charnwood Rd, St Kilda West 1943, 1949 (Nurse)

Resident of R.S.L. House, Albion St, East St Kilda 1951

Died on the 27th of October 1951 after being struck by a taxi in Brighton-road, East St Kilda

Cremated at the Fawkner Crematorium

The Colac Herald (Vic), Wed 22 Dec 1915 (p.2):

NOTES AND EVENTS

Miss Harrison, matron of the Colac District Hospital, received on Monday a cablegram from Heliopolis Hospital (Egypt) from Sister Guest, wishing the matron and staff the compliments of the season.  …………………………………………………………………..  Both Sisters Brown and Guest were members of the staff of the Colac District Hospital and resigned to take up duties with the Australian nurses now in Egypt.

The Colac Herald (Vic), Wed 2 Oct 1918 (p.2):

NOTES AND EVENTS

The appeal for Christmas gifts for Colac district nurses on active service met with a most liberal response yesterday, resulting in seven well filled boxes being sent forward to the following: – Sister Guest, ……………………………………………………….

Colac Reformer (Vic), Sat 5 Oct 1918 (p.2):

In the paragraph supplied, the name of Mrs J. Deans, one of the most enthusiastic workers in the cause of providing Christmas boxes for the nurses on active service, was omitted.  This lady has a sister (Sister Guest), who has been in France for the past three years helping in the splendid work of nursing our wounded soldiers.  Sister Guest was on the nursing staff of the Colac Public Hospital for two years previous to undertaking work in the military hospitals abroad.

The Age (Melb, Vic), Mon 29 Oct 1951 (p.3):

Week-End Accidents on Roads Cost Three Lives

Annie Susan Guest, 75, of Albion-street, St Kilda, was killed on Saturday afternoon when she was struck by a taxi in Brighton-road, East St Kilda.

The Argus (Melb, Vic), Mon 29 Oct 1951 (p.14):

FUNERALS

GUEST – The Funeral of the late ANNIE SUSAN GUEST will leave the Herbert King memorial chapel, 174 Lennox street, Richmond, after a service at 1.15 p.m., TOMORROW (Tuesday), for the Fawkner Crematorium.

The Argus (Melb, Vic), Tue 30 Oct 1951 (p.13):

DEATHS

GUEST – On October 27 (result of accident), Annie Susan, loved an esteemed friend of Nance Clune and Georgina Strongman and family.

GUEST – Sister A. Guest, 1st A.I.F.  Tribute from her loving friends, Dr J. Best, Sister Best, and Ethel Lehman.

Notes:

Mother’s maiden name found as SKEHAN / SKEHILL / SKEHELL / SKEHENN

Annie’s and Edith’s births show SKEHAN – also Mary’s death

Jullundur in India sounds to be a reasonable place to be posted, although probably not very exciting, but better than some places Australian Nurses were posted in India

http://wiki.fibis.org/w/Jullundur

The work of Australian Army nurses in India in the First World War is decribed in 

• "Nursing for the British Raj" by Ashleigh Wadman 28 October 2014 Australian War Memorial website. Suggested further reading includes Guns and Brooches: Australian Army Nursing from the Boer War to the Gulf War by Jan Bassett 1997 which is stated elsewhere[6] to provide “the best most accurate info on Australians nursing in India”.

(click on coloured text for link)

Cheers

Maureen

• 4 weeks later...

thanks Maureen and Frev.. i have only just got back to this site. My apologies for being so slack.. I am blown away with all your help guys. Thanks

Liz

Edited by katydid
spelling wrong.