Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Margaret Helen Hasse VAD

BarbaraG

Margaret died of influenza October 1918 and is buried at the Ockbrook Moravian Burial Ground, Borrowash & Ockbrook, Derbyshire.

Her brother Edwin Ridgley Hasse served with the Canadian Infantry, 49th Bn and died 13 June 1916.

In April 2016 Lorne Hammond, Curator of Human History at the Royal Alberta Museum in Victoria , Canada - ensured that the

pair of death pennies award to them remain together. 

They arrived at the Erewash Museum in time for an exhibition on 19th November 2016.

http://unexaminedlives.org/ww1-soldiers-pennies-for-margaret-and-edwin-hasse-to-have-final-resting-place-at-erewash-museum/#comment-4486

It is a shame that the memorial plaques have not been added to the web site as the scarcity of female plaques make them very interesting.

Hoping to see them when I can get to the museum - so will try and get a photograph.

Noticed on Soldier's Effects Register, Initials only so reference reads....

Name: H M Hasse

Death Date: 16 October 1918

Regiment: VAD

Margaret Helen HASSE.png

Margaret Helen Hasse Gravestone.JPG

Edited by BarbaraG
Added photographs

• 3 years later...

I am the lead researcher on this project and I would like to apologise for not updating the website sooner!!

I have now updated http://unexaminedlives.org/ww1-soldiers-pennies-for-margaret-and-edwin-hasse-to-have-final-resting-place-at-erewash-museum/ to include a photo of Margaret's Memorial plaque.

I also attach both her and her brother's plaque photos along with a newspaper article about her funeral.

Margaret Helen Hasse 04 (square white bg) (Small).jpg

Edwin Ridgley Hasse 02 (square white bg) (Small).jpg

1918-10-25 - Derby Daily Telegraph 25 October 1918 - Funeral of Marguerite Hasse (VAD) 02.png

Well done, Keith, for coming back with an update after three years. I assume that the two memorial plaques are now split either side of the Atlantic but I don't suppose that really matters. It is not like a person's medals which should never be split and the plaques have more meaning to each of the communities in which they now reside. May I make two observations about your website entry. Some purists, like me, do not like the term "death pennies". I guess that it is fair enough mentioning that the term was used at the time by some people but correctly they are memorial plaques. To me it is like calling a sixpence a tanner then continuing to use the term "tanner" in subsequent mentions. Or am I just being pedantic ? Secondly, there is an error in the website where the word "plaque" has been transcribed as "plague" and not picked up as yet. Lovely, quality photograph of the plaque, by the way. 

Thank you for the update on this.

Brother and sister commemorated together… it's a pity the plaques have been separated again.

Edwin is buried at Railway Dugout Cemetery in Zillebeke. I might try and pass there in two weeks time!!

M.

Hi all. No, actually, both plaques were donated to the Museum. Their father died in 1919 and they were delivered to Ockbrook where their mother was still living at the time. So, although Edwin had emigrated before the war, it had only been for a short time before war broke out and they joined up. I was able to establish that the two brothers signed up for the 49th Canadian Battalion on the same day and their regimental numbers were only three apart! They served together near Ypres at the Zillebeke Bund. He was a Scout (he was a fluent German speaker). He went out alone on the night of 12th July 1916 and never returned. He was found two days later with a single bullet would in his head.

His brother helped to carry his body out of the line and was present at the burial. He was the youngest of the family. Margaret was the eldest.

None of them married and we have not yet located any living relatives, so we feel it is our duty, at the Museum, to honour their memory.

We refer to the Plaques as our "Sibling Pair".

I attach his plaque.

Yes, I agree about the correct name of Memorial Plaques When I wrote the article, we casually referred to them as Death Pennies but I do that less and less now.

I am writing a book with the whole family story: how the plaques came about and how we acquired our Sibling Pair.

Edwin Ridgley Hasse 02 (square white bg).jpg

Ockbrook Moravian War Memorial - WW1 Names.jpg

I have so far located two further female plaques:

1. Winifred Stanly Coates - held at the IWM
  2. Margaret Evans Thomas - on her gravestone at Pwllheli Cemetery. (I'm waiting for a decent photo)

I have also been scouring CWGC for brother/sister sibling deaths. So far I have identified seven definites and two probables. Also one with two sisters and three parent/daughter.

Keith

Memorial Plaque Winifred Coates - IWM EPH 4139-2.jpg

Winifred Coates CWGC.png

Grave of Margaret Evans Thomas - Pwllheli Cemetery 02.png

Margaret Evans THomas CWGC Details.png

11 hours ago, koseman said:

None of them married and we have not yet located any living relatives, so we feel it is our duty, at the Museum, to honour their memory.

Ancestry has her included in six family trees. At least one of these must be family linked and an enquiry of the providers will probably be fruitful.