Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

X3 Trench Mortar Battery

alan jones

Hello , a relation of mine has just sent me this about her grandad . I wondered if anyone knew where about's the X3 Trench Mortar Battery was at the time of his stay in hospital please  {30/6/1916 }. Any information on X3 would also be much appreciated ., thanks .

Regards

Alan

frederick courtney 47989 rga.jpg

Hi Alan

Each Division had three medium trench mortar batteries so the 3rd Division had X/3, Y/3 and Z/3 and from about September 1916 would also have had a heavy trench mortar battery designated V/3. X, Y and Z were manned by gunners of the RFA and RGA firing four 2-inch mortars also known as 'toffee apples'. There were also separate light trench mortar batteries manned by the infantry using more mobile stokes mortars with one or two batteries assigned to each infantry brigade.

One of the more prominent ancestry websites has war diares available. While it does not appear to have the Divisional trench mortar battery war diaires, the Artillery headquarters diary for the relevant period will give some relevant information.

Mark

Thank you both , much appreciated , I will pass this on and she can maybe go ahead and look into it more .

Regards

Alan

I can confirm that there are various parts of 3rd Division Trench Mortars in these files including X Y Z and V/3 TMBs : WO 95_1402_2

Thank you , that's good to know , I have suggested she contacts the NA for what she would like to know .

Regards

Alan