Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/6th Cheshire's Sept 1918

stevem49

Hello Each

A lady in Aussie has contacted me about a family member killed with 1/6th Cheshire's on 16 September 1918.

Captain William Douglas Kenyon (CWGC has 1/7th with is incorrect)

30th Division, 21st Brigade which they joined in July 1918.

I cannot seem to find an exact location and wondered if anyone had the war diaries, before I purchase them.

Thank you

SteveM

Steve

a tommy at Ypres by Doreen priddey on page 297.  Shows the battalion was in the neuve eglise sector (dead man's corner). It mentions captain kenyon on page 298 

The Oak Tree, volume 3, No.11 on page 162 states 'Capt. W D Kenyon has died of wounds received in action.  He was serving in the Territorial Force before the war, was promoted Lieutenant on August 29th 1914, and was promoted Captain on Dec. 30th the following year.'

officers died has him on page 222,  in the list of the officers of the 7th Cheshire's.  This is why the CWGC has him done with the 7th Cheshire's and not the 6th Cheshire's 

Graeme

Not seen that before. I will let her know.

His best friend was an Aussie officer in my 9th Battalion N&D, killed on Gallipoli.

Thank you

Steve

Attached is an extract of the 1/6th Bn. Cheshire Regt. W.D. for the 15 and 16 September 1918. The Bn. was in the line at DAYLIGHT CORNER.

Cheshire R., 6th Bn., W.D. 15 and 16.9.1918.JPG

Edit to add:- My gazetteer says it is on map 28SW3 Bailleul in map square N33. 

Further edit:- location 50 degrees 46.062 minutes North 2 degrees 49.621 minutes East

Edited by HarryBrook

Thank you, that is great. I will get my maps out of the shed - (just moved!)

I will close this as all of my questions have been more than answered. I am sure the lady will be delighted.

Thanks all

Steve

Once I work out how to close a topic nowadays that is :)

Too late!

It's worth looking at this new book as well :

BillyH.

I do mention Kenyon in the book although there's nothing I can add about his death, other than it was probably due to wounds received during the bombing attack mentioned in the war diary. There is a photo of him.

All I can add from a rather thin service file is that he was a pre-war officer of the 7th Battalion and had worked as a commercial traveller. He joined the 6th Bn after recovering from wounds received at Gallipoli. His only war memorial commemoration appears to be St Marys Church, Nether Alderley  (photo on carlscam.com)

Edited by John_Hartley

• 1 year later...
On 19/03/2017 at 07:42, stevem49 said:

Hello Each

A lady in Aussie has contacted me about a family member killed with 1/6th Cheshire's on 16 September 1918.

Captain William Douglas Kenyon (CWGC has 1/7th with is incorrect)

30th Division, 21st Brigade which they joined in July 1918.

I cannot seem to find an exact location and wondered if anyone had the war diaries, before I purchase them.

Thank you

SteveM

Hi SteveM~

Interesting to see that a relative of Capt. W.D. Kenyon had been in contact with you as he is my great-uncle. If it is possible I'd love to know who that person is as it would be nice to communicate with her; perhaps you could get permission to forward her contact info.

I have quite a few photos of the Kenyon family as my late grandmother, Capt. Kenyon's sister passed her photo album on to me.

Thanks for posting this topic as I now know about John Hartley's book which I will be purchasing promptly. I'm pretty sure John and I had communicated some years ago.

Cheers~

Dave

Hello Dave

I will see if I can find her email address! 

In fact I have but at present I cannot send it to you via personal message and I do not want to do it via this thread for security reasons.

go to  www.ypressalient.co.uk  and you will see an email address for me. Use that to contact me.

All the best

Steve

Edited by stevem49